PHP Platform Engineering: Wayfair is using PHP at a distinctively high level of scale in multiple dimensions: revenue ($1.9 billion in Q1 2019), volume (60,000,000+ monthly customers), and contributors (2,300+ people across our tech teams). All of these metrics have been growing at a tremendously rapid pace since we adopted PHP 9 years ago.
• The PHP Platform Team owns the platform and drives PHP excellence for nearly 1,000 Software Engineers at Wayfair • We want to create a best in class development ecosystem and be a recognized thought leader in the PHP community • Our work helps developers become highly effective, and translates directly to strong business outcomes
• Our efforts include developing intuitive platform tooling, using such tools as Docker, Kubernetes, and Buildkite. • We also run both internal and external-facing community events
What You'll Do
• We're looking for a talented and forward-looking leader to guide Wayfair's efforts as we build a robust, world-class platform for its many PHP engineers, one that will scale alongside our continued growth for years to come.
As the leader of this team, you will:
Own the technical vision of the PHP platform
Grow and lead the team to execute on the vision of the PHP platform
Work with a wide range of leaders and Software Engineers to identify opportunities to improve our technology leverage
• Have a strong and measurable impact on PHP software engineering cycle-time
• Reduce the time required for new engineers of all levels to reach productivity
• Collaborate with tech communication teams to build a strong brand for Wayfair in the PHP community
• Influence Engineering culture both in and outside of your organization, acting as a go-to technical expert and problem solver
• Partner with internal stakeholders to determine a common development roadmap that balances management of technical challenges with needs of the customer and market.
What You'll Need
• 10+ years industry experience with at least 8 years in a software engineering leadership role
• A passion for having developers as customers, and enabling their ability to adapt and flourish in a fast paced rapidly scaling tech organization
• Demonstrated technical leadership capability with the ability to identify trade-offs and manage risk.
• Ability to manage, challenge, enable, and develop both Engineers and Engineering leaders.
• Ability to translate business vision into strategy and grow and enable leaders who can translate that strategy into tactics that produce results.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving skills with demonstrated experience collecting and using data to inform decisions, build consensus, and align teams to a common purpose.
• Strong technical expertise with PHP
• DevOps and/or startup experience preferred
• PHP Open Source experience preferred
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.