Platform Engineer, Platform Scaling
Boston, MA, United States
Wayfair is a leader in the ecommerce space for all things home. We live and breathe modern technologies. We are a “move fast break things, rethink old standards” team with a startup feel but working with massive scale.
We’re looking for smart, logical thinkers who produce and advocate for performant and scalable architecture. We are as much concerned about thought leadership, community involvement, and the ever-changing SRE landscape. We’re particularly interested in engineers who can help us develop our Platform scaling and Config management strategy and help us adopt Config management platforms like Consul, Puppet, Salt, Vault into our existing infrastructure.
On the Platform Scaling team as a Senior Site Reliability Engineer in Config management, you’ll have a multitude of opportunities to flex your strengths as well as learn new things while directly assisting our internal customers. We contribute to (and create) bleeding-edge open source projects and continuously push the envelope to explore the future of e-commerce and modern infrastructure systems.
What the Wayfair Platform Scaling team does:
- Writes clean, high-performance, and well tested, infrastructure code with a focus on re-usability and automation (Shell, Python, Puppet).
- Experience in managing platforms as a service for rapid growth and scale.
- Create and maintain detailed documentation.
- Develops monitoring, defines service levels and helps coordinate product launches and reliability exercises.
Recommends and implements infrastructure best practices in alignment with standard SRE principles and provide guidance on system performance.
What You’ll Do:
- Helps determine the future roadmap of platforms and services by improving existing workflows
- Coordinates projects with the rest of the team.
- Communicates with other teams at Wayfair on a shared, long-term vision.
- Helps business stakeholders and other engineers understand the impact of touchless solution
- Mentors junior engineers and helps develop their skills while assisting them on projects
What You’ll Need:
- 8+ years experience in systems and/or software engineering.
- 5+ years of primarily DevOps/SRE engineer experience.
- 5+ years Experience in one or more programing languages used in infrastructure (Ruby, PHP, Python, Go, etc as well as familiarity with version control such as Git).
- 5+ years Experience with IaaS and PaaS architecture and deployments.
- 5+ years Experience working with configuration management tools (Puppet, Salt, Chef, or Ansible).
- 2+ years experience with a public cloud provider (AWS, GCP, AZURE).
- 2+ years experience with a container platform (Docker, rkt, CoreOS, Mesos, Kubernetes).
Good things to have:
- Experience managing a full application stack with high availability requirements.
- Knowledge of Hashicorp product - Consul, Vault.
- Involvement in some on-premise to cloud migration
- Experience with performance tuning on Linux kernels.
- Expertise in performance testing tools and best practices
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing
- Proven ability to collaborate and work well within a team.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex,
national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.