Platform Engineer, Service Mesh
Boston, MA (will consider remote candidates)
Platform Engineers at Wayfair have an excellent mix of software and systems engineering skills. We are bootstrapping a small focused team tasked with modernizing Wayfair’s service discovery and communication layers. For this role, we are looking for engineers who can help us drive adopting service mesh technologies like Istio. While you will be working on service mesh, software load-balancing and service discovery, extensive experience is not needed as long as you are a fast learner and can demonstrate strong fundamentals in one of software engineering, site reliability, or infrastructure.
What You’ll Do:
- Contribute to design and implementation of service mesh (Istio, Envoy)
- Consolidate and design service discovery across hybrid cloud and containers vs non-containers
- Work closely with Kubernetes, Cloud and Security groups to ensure service mesh works seamlessly and meets highest performance/security standards
- Work closely with Developer platform groups to ensure all major language platforms can easily take advantage of service mesh
- Improve and maintain the software and infrastructure that your team develops and operates
What You’ll Need:
- 3+ years of experience operating with TCP/IP, load-balancing, security and operating production environments
- 3+ years of experience in infrastructure roles with strong fundamentals in Linux
- 3+ years of experience of server-side software engineering experience (Java or Go or Perl Or Python etc)
- Involvement in service discovery, BGP (calico etc), Istio or similar service mesh technologies is a bonus
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking.
No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.