Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
As a founder-led company with a global footprint, we continue to look for pragmatic, innovative problem solvers to join our Engineering team. If you are truly passionate about technology and can move across the stack to craft solutions for customers, this role may be for you.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
How will you be Challenged?
Wayfair’s App Engineering teams are focused on using the tools and capabilities of native devices to transform the furniture buying experience into something that is intuitive, fun and exciting. As a senior manager, you will lead teams that are not just focused on bringing native equivalents to our users’ web and mobile web experiences but also developing experiences that can only be possible on a native app platform.
What Will You Do?
Our senior app engineering managers are interested in service-minded leaders who are just as excited in building great, high performing, diverse teams as they are in building delightful software for both iOS and Android.
- You have led the development of at least one app from ideation to launch and post launch on both iOS and Android.
- You have familiarity with building retail e-commerce apps.
- Lead, recruit, and mentor developers at multiple career levels.
- Own the quality and technical excellence of your teams and their work.
- Build partnerships across teams to help deliver complex and powerful new features that span our platforms.
- Work with design, product managers, and analytics to shape roadmaps and goals across all of our groups.
- Provide continuous feedback to Wayfair’s processes for recruitment, training, and performance evaluation.
- Support other app developers by taking core aspects of our app tooling and infrastructure and releasing them as open source projects.
- Improve processes across full-stack, frontend, infrastructure, and analytics to improve collaboration across tech stacks.
- Give back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
- Our native app won a Webby Award for our use of ARKit to allow our customers to render our furniture as 3D models in their living space.
- We worked with staff and senior engineers to re-architect our app into a suite of infrastructure and feature modules.
- Waychat is an in-app messaging service that give customers the ability to chat with customer service agents in real time and through the main Wayfair Android app. This is built using GraphQl and push notifications for message delivery. The Waychat messaging service is now being used across Wayfair for a variety of other applications.
- Developed a new internal bootcamp program to train new mobile developers at scale.
Who Are You?
- Experience reviewing architectural and code related decisions
- You have experience with grooming individual contributors into leads or junior managers.
- Your are hands-on coding experience with PHP, SQL, and/or GraphQL.
- You have experience working with different architectures (MVVM, MVC, VIPER, etc).
- You have experience with developing on Android Java, Swift, or Objective-C on publicly available apps supported by RESTful web services, and having a past track record of encouraging collaboration across both iOS and Android.
- You have experience recruiting and grooming both junior and senior developers.
- You had an active role in shaping the culture and technical standards of an engineering organization.
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent with at least 5+ years of professional development experience or at least 7+ years of full-time software development experience.
- You have at least 2+ years leading teams as a manager or team lead