Wayfair’s founders, Steve Conine and Niraj Shah, kick-started their careers as engineers- turned-entrepreneurs, growing an e-commerce business over several years with an exceptional mission: Everyone should live in a home they love. Our Software Engineering organization drives this by finding real-world solutions to complex business challenges facing customers and stakeholders every day. Our global teams move fast, build to scale, and approach each opportunity with agility and creativity.
Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
What You'll Do
- Write high quality Java and Kotlin code in collaboration with iOS and Android developers.
- Mentor junior developers to improve their Android knowledge, and help them break down complex tasks
- Work with designers to refine our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Android best practices.
- Collaborate actively with backend developers on features that span web/mobile web and the native apps.
- Review code and provide clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups, as well as investigate and propose new ideas for advancing development practices.
Who You Are
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent, and at least 2 years of professional Android development experience.
- You have a deep understanding of Android fundamentals, interacting with endpoints, debugging using breakpoints, and memory management on Android.
- You are familiar with architecture patterns such as MVP, MVVM, Clean/VIPER, etc., and have worked with async patterns.
- You have a passion for writing clean, readable, and thoroughly tested code.
- You are excited to learn about new libraries and technologies, and stay on the cutting edge of the evolving mobile landscape.
- Experience with Kotlin
- Knowledge of GraphQl, SQL, and/or PHP
- Familiarity with building retail e-commerce applications
Our native app won a Webby Award for our use of ARKit to allow our customers to render our furniture as 3D models in their living space.
Waychat: An in-app messaging service that gives shoppers the ability to chat with customer service agents in real-time and through the main Wayfair Android app. This is built using GraphQl and push notifications for message delivery. The Waychat messaging service is now being used across Wayfair for a variety of other applications.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.