Shopping for the home is often overwhelming. Wayfair is an extreme case – it’s visited by two million people daily, shopping across more than 10 million products: Home furnishings, décor, home improvement, housewares, and more. Our software engineering teams work hard to conceal the complexity of this experience. Every customer should come away feeling like they’ve found the perfect item for them. Shopping for the home should be exciting, and we’re the team that makes that happen.
While we are one of the largest iOS dev groups in Boston, we are organized in loosely coupled teams where Senior Developers own the architecture of a features such as messaging, checkout, or visual search. This is a great opportunity to join a community of seasoned professionals rising to the challenge of building an app used by millions worldwide that is backed by an organization experiencing explosive growth.
What You'll Do
- Meeting with product managers and backend developers to architect features, and lead the work to be tackled by the team.
- Modeling clean, performant, and well-tested code for your team
- Working with designers on refining our user experiences with an eye to Human Interface Guidelines and other Apple best practices.
- Anticipating areas for improvement and investment, and highlighting these for inclusion in a team’s project roadmap.
- Reviewing code and providing clear feedback to other developers on your team and adjacent groups.
- Championing and implementing new ideas to help us work better together.
- Participating in cross-team workgroups to improve our approaches to testing, UI components, GraphQL, or other areas.
- Mentoring and teaching junior developers entering as new hires or as part of our new entry-level bootcamp program: Wayfair Mobile Labs.
- Giving back to the tech community by presenting talks at conferences and tech meetups.
- Collaborating with our mobile platform team to improve our build processes, automation, and CI/CD.
Who You Are
- You have an Undergraduate or Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering or equivalent with at least 5+ years of professional development experience or at least 7+ years of full-time software development experience.
- Fluency in Swift, from a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry working experience.
- 3+ years of professional mobile development experience on publicly available apps supported by RESTful web services.
- 1+ years of leading teams in a senior capacity (tech lead, architect)
- Familiarity with mobile engineering challenges including performance and memory management concepts
- Have architected or designed complex features with product managers or other stakeholders
- A genuine belief that constructive and respectful code reviews are the bedrock of a healthy team and an eagerness to create experiences that will delight users.
- We won a Webby for our genre-defining use of ARKit to help our customers find the best pieces to fit in their home.
- We worked with marketing, backend and design to build a dynamic, scalable promotions system for supporting dozens of flash sales, visited by millions of customers shopping on our WayDay promotional holiday.
- We have been adopting GraphQL to provide more freedom and flexibility in optimizing our interactions with our backend APIs.
- We re-architected our apps into feature and infrastructure modules to help our team scale and reuse code within our growing ecosystem of native apps.
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.