The Real Estate team at Wayfair is responsible for delivering the physical space to support our 40%+ YoY growth. We hired 1,000 people a quarter in 2018, and have just opened a second location in Boston to expand the footprint of our corporate headquarters. To-date, we occupy more than 12 million square feet of space around the world including: our headquarters locations in Boston and Berlin, fulfillment centers across North America and Europe and customer service locations in the U.S., Germany and Ireland.
Real Estate is traditionally about long term commitments to big physical assets. For a fast-growing company like Wayfair with constantly evolving business needs, planning for Real Estate is about creating options for the future. We partner with developers and landlords to redevelop older buildings and create flexible space that can serve more than one purpose. We are building a repeatable subleasing program to put excess space to use when we don’t need it. We are working with cities and towns to find talent and space in locations many companies overlook.
Real Estate is a small team that works cross-functionally in collaboration with business leads across the company to define the needs of the business and drive creative solutions for the future.
What You'll Do
- Define the strategy and lead development of our global office real estate portfolio including: headquarters facilities in Boston, MA and Berlin, Germany and customer service locations across North America and Europe.
- Collaborate with executive leadership, customer service, talent and Community Experience teams to define space needs, drive site selection and identify new locations.
- Consolidate current and future requirements into a broad real estate strategy that enables Wayfair to think long term and “act like a developer,” not a tenant.
- Lead negotiation and execution of development partnerships, new leases, renewals, expansions, subleasing and other transactions with landlords, brokers, legal team and government representatives.
- Partner with the Community Experience team to drive a repeatable, end-to-end diligence and launch process for new locations.
- Build relationships with developers, landlords, brokers and other related internal and external stakeholders.
- Work with finance and lease administration teams to create visibility into rent and occupancy costs across our office portfolio to drive budgeting and forecasting.
- Manage current team of one Sr. Manager in Boston and cross-functional head of Real Estate Strategy and Leasing in Europe. Lead broad team of 3rd party advisers.
- The role is a great opportunity to join Wayfair, the leadership team and the Real Estate industry more broadly.
What You'll Need
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 10 years of business experience including some direct negotiating experience and comfort getting into the detail of negotiating legal contracts like leases, development agreements and government incentives
- Strong financial acumen
- Successful track record of managing external partners and leading multifunctional teams
- Senior presence; able to work side-by-side with a broad range of levels and functions to achieve objectives
- Moderate short-duration travel, 1-2 day trips once or twice a month
- MBA preferred
- Background in strategic finance, management consulting, real estate investment/asset management or related fields is a plus
Wayfair is one of the world’s largest online destinations for the home. Whether you work in our global headquarters in Boston or Berlin, or in our warehouses or offices throughout the world, we’re reinventing the way people shop for their homes. Through our commitment to industry-leading technology and creative problem-solving, we are confident that Wayfair will be home to the most rewarding work of your career. If you’re looking for rapid growth, constant learning, and dynamic challenges, then you’ll find that amazing career opportunities are knocking. No matter who you are, Wayfair is a place you can call home. We’re a community of innovators, risk-takers, and trailblazers who celebrate our differences, and know that our unique perspectives make us stronger, smarter, and well-positioned for success. We value and rely on the collective voices of our employees, customers, community, and suppliers to help guide us as we build a better Wayfair – and world – for all. Every voice, every perspective matters. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or genetic information.