Wave is a platform for creating, distributing and monetizing virtual entertainment content. Wave creates real-time, interactive virtual concerts, and broadcasts them to major streaming and gaming platforms, as well as its own Oculus VR and Steam applications. The company takes the best of music concerts, live streams and video games to create something entirely new.
Overall Role Description
The new Chief Marketing Officer will lead, develop, and manage the overall marketing vision and strategies for Wave, and drive results – measured through increased brand awareness, customer acquisition (of show attendees and Wave followers) and monetization.
Central Mandate for the Chief Marketing Officer
- Oversee all aspects of Wave’s Marketing function and build Wave’s Marketing team;
- Creatively manage all marketing positioning and asset development;
- Drive show attendees of Wave’s aggressively growing concert slate across all participating platforms (games, social networks, proprietary VR apps, etc), working closely with artist management teams and deploying cutting-edge digital and social marketing tactics;
- Work closely with Product leads to develop innovative strategies to convert attendees across in-platform monetization tactics – including virtual goods, paid interactions, ticketed afterparties, physical merchandise, and others;
- Build Wave’s own global fan base of repeat concertgoers, driving Wave followers to “owned and operated” venues with value-added experiences;
- Build global brand awareness of Wave, and the company’s superior and differentiated product among key industry stakeholders – including record labels, concert and festival companies, gaming companies, music companies, industry and trade press.
Core Values & Must-Haves
The CMO will believe in, and lead with, the following Values and Behaviors:
- Passion – A real fan of music and innovation technology; someone who understands the potential for virtual entertainment and wants to be at the forefront of creating the next great entertainment brand;
- Hands-On – a leader who’s willing to roll up one’s sleeves, hunker down in the trenches with Wave team members and get closely involved in tactical execution;
- Communication -- Ability to communicate clearly and gain credibility with diverse customer targets (artists, stakeholders and cross-functional senior executives);
- Energy -- A high-energy person who is hungry to be one of the top leaders of Wave at a unique moment in its growth history; someone eager to help take the company to the next level and beyond;
- Collaboration - someone who acts on behalf of the entire company, beyond just their own team. A real team player; someone who will be an exceptional partner with the President, CEO, as well as with all other executives to form a "strategic brain-trust" of the company;
- Inclusion - Someone who actively seeks diverse viewpoints, creating a culture where it's safe to dissent, with getting to the best decision/outcome being the only goal;
- Can-Do – someone who always seeks solutions to overcome key business challenges.
- Ownership - someone who embraces full accountability;
- Beyond Reproach – someone who has a track record of conducting themselves ethically, and with the highest integrity in all matters;
- International experience, exposure, and interest is a significant plus as non-U.S. growth is a key part of Wave’s strategy and operations going forward.
Experience / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree required with a strong preference in marketing, advertising, communications, or business;
- 10+ years experience at a senior level executing digital marketing strategies and overseeing customer acquisition campaigns from development / execution / campaign analysis, ideally in the music and/or entertainment industries;
- Results-oriented with an exceptional track record of developing profitable engagement marketing programs;
- Lead and mentor a high-performing, highly collaborative marketing team, including external vendors;
- Experience in driving audience to live online events a plus;
- Strong creative instincts;
- Developed understanding of current online marketing concepts, strategy and best practice such as segmentation, funnels, targeting, CAC, etc;
- Knowledge of sophisticated and cutting-edge MarTech, including testing methodologies, contact strategy, channel strategy, marketing metrics, CRM, search, web technologies, databases, digital analytical tools;
- Collaborative, team-oriented;
- Proven ability to build high-performing teams, manage team members and drive results;
- Self-starter with strong leadership skills;
- MBA or BSc in Business Administration a plus.