Since 2014, our Sendwave app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, & Tanzania, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
In 2016, we expanded our scope and began building Wave, a mobile money product for domestic markets in Africa.
The problem: Nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa have no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. We've recently expanded to Cote d'Ivoire and are adding more countries this year. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for an experienced IT professional who’s resourceful and excited about getting things done. You'll be our first full time IT hire, so you'll be responsible for setting up and maintaining tools that fully enable our employees as we scale our business in Senegal and across the rest of Africa.
In this role, you'll:
- Partner with the people team to build and operate systems that allow us to easily and quickly onboard and offboard employees
- Partner with our security team to improve our access management processes
- Design and execute a hardware management process for provisioning, distributing, and recollecting laptops
- Manage our google suite account, and configure single sign on and other integrations with other tools
- Help select, roll out, and support the software tools that best support the team
- Write and train others on playbooks for solving common problems. Be route of escalation for helpdesk questions about our software tools.
- You can work remotely from anywhere (between UTC -5 and +4) with reliable Internet access
- Both of our two teams have regular retreats, which are one week in length. Wave covers all costs associated with travel to and from retreats. In this role you would be expected to travel for retreats 6-10 weeks a year.
- Salaries are calculated using a transparent formula.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Fluency in English
- At least five years experience working in IT
You might be a good fit if you
- Enjoy working independently and are excited about being the first IT person in an organization
- Own projects end to end, and don’t get stuck when something doesn’t go the way you planned
- Are excited about solving software problems for people, even if those people don’t know what the solutions look like yet
- Can design sustainable processes that enable employees and meet business goals
- Aren’t afraid of schlep
- Can quickly use documentation and other resources to understand and configure new technology
- Are comfortable thinking about the security consequences of IT decisions
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
bonus points if you
- Speak French
- Have worked on IT in a distributed or remote company before
- Are based in Europe or Africa
- Are excited about traveling to West Africa regularly to enable our on-the-ground teams
- You’ll work with both the Sendwave team (~100 people, distributed) and the Wave team (~40 distributed, ~90 Senegal based, ~20 Cote d’Ivoire based). All of those people are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply below by submitting a resume, as well as a cover letter in English describing your interest in Wave and the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.