The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent.
Our team has doubled in size in the past six months and we have recently built a People Operations team to help us scale effectively. We are looking for someone to support team processes and systems to enable even faster growth. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
In this role, you will be part of Wave's People team and responsible for supporting HR and Recruiting tasks needed to achieve our key priorities.
Your responsibilities will include:
- General administrative support to the People team;
- Assist with Global payroll processing, with an emphasis on US and Canada;
- Assist with Global benefits administration, with an emphasis on US and Canada;
- Assist in preparing visa applications;
- Assist in organizing quarterly retreat logistics and other team activities;
- Support all internal and external HR-related inquiries and requests;
- HR-related tasks such as filing Unemployment Insurance claims, records collection/retention and other reporting;
- Sort through all incoming mail, including replying to state registration and licensing forms and completing necessary filings/reporting;
- Coordinate with our Finance team on processing reimbursements, and ensuring payments to related vendors and suppliers;
- Onboarding new hires;
- Booking travel arrangements;
- Equipment purchasing;
- Supporting recruitment efforts via sourcing, scheduling interviews, performing initial interviews, and conducting reference checks;
- Training new team members on tools used at Wave;
- Be the go-to person for company-wide IT tool provisioning and troubleshooting queries.
- Location: We are a globally distributed remote company and you can be based anywhere in North America.
- Compensation: $45,000-$50,000 USD (or local equivalent) per year depending on experience, plus equity.
- This is a full-time, direct-hire position.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Native or fluent English.
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you'd like to be based in North America).
- Bachelors degree in Human Resources or related field.
- 2+ years of HR and US multi-state and Canadian payroll and benefits administration experience.
Bonus points if
- You speak French
- You have experience in supporting payroll and benefits administration in Europe and Africa in addition to North America
- You have a CPP or PHR certification
You might be a good fit if you
- Display remarkable conflict management and decision-making skills;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest HR trends and best practices;
- Are highly organized and meticulously detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty;
- Have a tolerance - dare we say enthusiasm! - for repetitive tasks;
- Are driven to face tasks head on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones;
- Are inquisitive, collaborative, and analytical in your approach to problems and are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks;
- Are highly tech-savvy [Google Suite, Slack, Quip, MS Office] and Mac proficient and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues;
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change (we’re a startup - change occurs regularly and rapidly!);
- Have previously worked for a remote company and are effective at working independently.
- We're a distributed HQ team of ~60 people who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most. Our team works remotely across North America, Europe and Africa.
- Every nine weeks our HQ team goes on a five-day retreat together in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave and this role, as well as responding to the questions below.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.