The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments; our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
At Wave, product managers:
- Own a product or feature.
- Gather feedback (by talking to users and looking at data) to deeply understand the problem space and our users' needs.
- Work from first principles to understand the user's biggest problems and then figure out how the product should work to solve those problems.
- Prioritize the biggest problems blocking the product's growth and impact.
- Manage a small agile team to get the improvements into users' hands in rapid iteration cycles, gather more feedback and reach more people.
You might be a good fit if you
- Are excited about working with Wave's users to make a positive difference in their lives
- Have some technical / engineering background, or have worked as a product manager for a tech company
- Have strong analytical skills and ask good questions
- Have strong design skills and experience working on mobile apps
- Are adaptable and can change your strategy quickly based on new information
- Fluent English (Bonus points, if you speak French!)
- 3+ years experience as a Product Manager for mobile apps
- Willingness to travel 50% of the time to Senegal and Cote d'Ivoire
- Location: You would spend most of your time over the first 1-3 months in Africa. After that, you can work remotely (anywhere between UTC -5 and +4), but expect frequent (~ 1-2 weeks every month) travel.
- Salary: $110,000-$165,000 depending on past work experience, plus equity.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- Wave will cover all costs associated with travel to and from Senegal
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- We're a team of ~130 people (90 Senegalese and 40 International) who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply here by submitting a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.