The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason — the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and most merchants only accept cash. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for someone analytical who is excited to roll-up their sleeves and dive into our agent and field data to build models that inform how we scale our agent network across Senegal.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Optimising our agent network through a deep and analytical understanding of our business in Senegal
- Understanding and monitoring Wave’s agent network by identifying relevant data sources and analyzing operational data from teams in the field
- Trouble-shooting existing data collection and analysis methods affecting the agent team to improve efficiency
- Drawing conclusions from your analysis to drive sustainable scaling up of operation
- Working closely with agents and team members to improve data collection and data driven decision-making
You might be a good fit if you
- Have very strong analytical skills and ask good questions.
- Have strong SQL and excel skills - able to build models and visualize data.
- Are adaptable and can change your strategy quickly based on new information.
- Demonstrate experience in problem-solving through gathering data, building models and iterating on learning.
- Are excited about working closely with our agents and field teams in Senegal.
- Enjoy talking to people and solving problems and don't mind spending time in busy marketplaces.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems and embrace failure as a means to improving the business as yourself.
- Are detail oriented and able to draw actionable recommendations from large datasets
- Location: You would spend most of your time over the next 6 months in Dakar, Senegal; after that, you can live anywhere you want, but expect frequent (~ 2 week every month) travel to Senegal or other countries where we have operations
- Salary: $90,000-$130,000 depending on past work experience, plus equity.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- Wave will cover all costs associated with travel to and from Senegal
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- We're a team of ~130 people (90 Senegalese and 40 International) who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply here by submitting a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.