Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Bangladesh, and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking for a Talent and Culture Lead for our Customer Support team who approaches human resources with a product mindset, meaning that you begin with deep empathy for our employees and think from first principles about how to solve their pain points. Your product is SendWave’s culture and you will take ownership over building a superlative employee experience for our Customer Service teams, one that empowers our employees to do their best work in service of our mission. In this role, you should expect to spend some days diving into administrative detail (because you are biased towards action and do the things that need to be done) and other days, taking a step back to design a process, write a spec, or reflect on how to improve yourself. You are open-minded and warm-hearted. You have grit, a vision, and a voice, but you also see the potential in others and find satisfaction from helping people become their best selves.
In your first few months, you'll
- Drive key team initiatives in areas such as change management, performance management, succession planning, rewards & recognition, DE&I, and organizational/team effectiveness
- Overall provision of team policies, and programs, including the maintenance of employee data and information, compensation and benefits, organizational policies, and employee handbook that align with organizational values and comply with federal, country, state, and local laws and regulations in multiple countries.
- Deeply understand and be an ambassador for our culture, values, and habits
- Articulate the story and principles of Sendwave by interviewing employees
- Make sure candidates see and experience the culture during the hiring process
- Partner with hiring managers + team leads to design and build the teams they need to scale
- Learn how each team functions and their mission to strategize opportunities for hiring and leverage existing resources
- Build and carry out semi-structured interviews with candidates as part of the screening and final interview process
- Coordinate and schedule interviews across teams to ensure a great experience for candidates and hiring managers
- Enter and maintain integrity of data in recruiting database (Greenhouse)
- 2+ years experience in an HR Business Partner or equivalent role
- Experience supporting organizations/business units with 100+ hourly workers
- Demonstrated empathy and experience driving inclusion work
- Highly developed relationship management and consulting skills; able to build relationships and credibility at all levels within an organization
- Proven ability to think strategically, translate strategies into actionable plans, develop performance metrics and analyze results
Bonus points if you have
- Previous call center experience
- Professional experience in at least two of the following countries: US, UK, Canada, Senegal, or Kenya
- Recruiting experience
- Experience supporting a remote/distributed organization
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a “can-doer” and thrive on executing on objectives
- Exceptionally organized and pay close attention to detail
- Are passionate about Sendwave’s mission and building an unstoppable team
- Our team of 100-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as over 100 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.