Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria (and soon Bangladesh and Senegal) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
This role requires at least 1 year of performance marketing experience, working in fast paced environments.
In your first few months, you'll:
- Run performance marketing campaigns in multiple countries
- Lead execution of our search and app store advertising campaigns (Google and Apple Search)
- Research, plan and execute additional digital channel relevant to the diasporas we serve
- Take vital part in launching new markets and growing our existing user base
- Work with monthly budgets of above $200K
- Analyze in-channel and diaspora-specific data to gather invaluable user insights and achieve our ambitious growth goals.
- Work hand in hand with our country managers team in charge of the growth within the communities we serve
- Build and test new user acquisition strategies: defining hypotheses, analyzing results, and iterating through new tests as we optimize our user acquisition machine
- You can work remotely as long as you have reliable Internet access. You can be based in any of the following countries if you have the right to work there (without employer sponsorship)— in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, Senegal, or Cote d’Ivoire.
- Compensation is localized based on where applicant has pre-existing legal right to work (without employer sponsorship) and where they will do the majority of their tasks:
- North America: 65000 - 83600 USD
- Africa: 45000 - 58000 USD
- UK: 38000 GBP - 45000 GBP
- Europe: 45000 EUR - 52000 EUR
- Length of position: Permanent.
- 25% travel expected.
- Major benefits:
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- Native or fluent English
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you'd like to be based)
- Experience executing search campaigns at scale ($50K+ spend a month)
- Basic understanding of attribution and tracking
- Impeccable reporting skills and comfort with data (using Excel or Google Sheets)
- Ability to develop in-platform insights that lead to actionable tasks
- Confidence in implementing and optimizing search campaigns in multiple countries and multiple languages
You might be a good fit if you
- Love to be entrepreneurial, this means being able to do whatever it takes to make the market work.
- Find growth marketing in the digital space fascinating and are eager to grow and learn the ins and outs of performance marketing
- Are comfortable being scrappy, while staying critical when driving growth in the community via different digital channels.
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical and critical in your approach
- Quickly absorb new cultural settings and understand how they might impact Sendwave's strategy
- Are driven by numbers, able to work autonomously and understand that team work is key to success
- Enjoy working across multiple countries and languages, and develop resilient strategies that utilize overall and country-specific learnings and macro-dynamics.
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve.
- Have experience meeting ambitious numeric targets.
- Are fluent in French
- Have a good eye for design
- Have previous experience with mobile apps or fast-growing startups
- Know how to use SQL
- Have experience launching own projects
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa -working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Past locations include Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Miami, FL (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please applying here and include a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave and the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you chose to identify and whatever background you may have, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.