In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted sending remittances to Senegal and are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
The Technical Product Manager - Delivery role will be working together with an engineering and operations team to ensure that the transactions our users send are delivered rapidly, reliably and as cost-effectively for us as possible. The majority of your work will be focused on the systems and processes which operate behind the scenes (occasionally surfacing in our iOS and Android apps) and which integrate with a myriad of partners and APIs (of varying degrees of quality) globally.
Day-to-day you’ll work with the delivery team to understand opportunities, spec out potential solutions and prioritize improvement. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the engineering lead on the team to ensure that sprints are planned, backlogs groomed, and that the engineers are able to operate as effectively as possible. You’ll work hand-in-hand with the operations lead on the team to ensure that as our delivery product evolves, we are able to consistently improve the effectiveness and efficiency of our support for it. You’ll work with the rest of the product team to ensure that your roadmap is aligned with the overall goals of the company, product and that together we are forwarding our mission of making sending money as fast and simple as sending a text.
In your first few months, you'll
Get up-to-speed on our current delivery system, the technical vision for it and the team’s capacity to deliver. You’ll need to quickly understand how our product works, capabilities we have, the nuances of how transactions are processed, delivered, and how throughout the entire process we provide support to our users. You’ll want to spend time getting to know our support & operations team and learn how they go about “triaging transactions” and how when needed we get on the phone with our partners no matter the time of day to ensure that transactions are delivered. You’ll get up-to-speed on our internal support tools and analytics infrastructure.
- You’ve managed the full life-cycle of core features of a product in the past and you probably have 4+ years of professional product management experience ideally in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment.
- You know how to develop, clearly communicate and then drive implementation of a product roadmap by prioritizing ruthlessly and making complex tradeoffs thoughtfully and collaboratively together with Engineering, Marketing, Operations and other stakeholders.
- You have a strong technical background and can read, understand and when needed write up API specs and are excited about facilitating integrations with 3rd party clients that may have terrible documentation.
- You have strong analytics skills and are not afraid to learn or use new tools, write SQL, dig through tickets in Zendesk, fire up a Jupyter notebook, dig into some python code or do what ever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so you and your teams can better understand a problem and prioritize solutions.
- You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
- You have a willingness to travel four weeks / year to meet with your team and the rest of the company. In addition you would be excited to spend a couple of additional weeks a year traveling to collaborate in-person with our delivery partners worldwide.
You might be a good fit if you
- You aspire to lead and develop true product teams, not feature teams.
- Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
- Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
- Are excited about multiple kinds of work and want to help out where it’s needed
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have a background in engineering or other technical field
- Have experience in fintech such as payment processing, developing integrations between financial institutions and systems
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Senegal, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Ghana, and Kenya.
- This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Product
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Recently we’ve been to Miami Beach (Florida) and Estes Park (Colorado).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.