In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, Nigeria and Senegal saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted sending remittances to Senegal and are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
The Business Intelligence Analyst will help us put the data we collect to use by enabling teams to get better insights through data as they work to achieve their highest priority goals. You will help teams frame up the right questions to ask to generate actionable business insights, not just write SQL. You are a strong collaborator and communicator who works from big-picture goals but also is detail-oriented where it counts. You like solving problems and use both quantitative and qualitative approaches to get to an answer. In addition to SQL, you have more general technical skills and are able to creatively mix and match tools to solve analytic problems. For example, you can pull and parse a log file, and then merge results with the output of a SQL query, and then use a library like Plotly to display results in a Jupyter notebook. You are focused on creating scalable and reliable data solutions for teams so they can quickly get business insights.
Day-to-day, you’ll work with teams to understand what questions they want to answer with data and guide them in deciding on the best approach. You’ll align on specifications and work to get teams the data they need as well as to display it in easily digestible ways. You’ll proactively identify how different cuts of the data will affect outcomes and identify patterns or anomalies that merit operational focus. You’ll do deep dives into root causes of data inconsistencies and test out data integrity. You’ll work with teams to solve their data problems more sustainably and holistically through ensuring they fully understand the data and empowering them with the graphs, tables, tools etc. they need to manipulate and monitor it.
In your first few months, you'll
Get up-to-speed on our data infrastructure and be helping teams gain important insights with it. You’ll need to quickly understand our SQL tables and the nuances of how we save data. You’ll want to spend time getting to know our teams’ KPI dashboards and what metrics are important to them You’ll work with our Head of Operations to determine your project cadence based on where your skills are best put to use.
* You know how to develop, clearly communicate and drive implementation of data analysis
* You have a strong analytical background and likely 2+ years of experience in roles focused on data analytics
* You have mastered SQL and Excel, and have experience working with online data analytics and visualization tools and likely with extracting data from log files
* You are not afraid to dig through tickets in Zendesk, fire up a Jupyter notebook, dig into some python code or do what ever else it takes for you to frame questions and get data quickly so teams can better understand a problem and prioritize solutions
* You have a strong business mind and are able to understand teams’ evolving analytics needs and deliver practical and novel data solutions to achieve their goals
* You are excited about working remotely and have the skills and self discipline to do so effectively.
You might be a good fit if you
* Have working knowledge of multiple tools for data visualization, analysis and manipulation
* Are a creative and flexible problem solver, and interested in finding the best solutions for our particular needs
* Like getting in the weeds and making projects happen
* Are excited by diving into the work of multiple business units and want to help out where you’re most needed
* Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination
* Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change
Bonus points if you
* Have experience with python
* Have worked in a rapidly scaling tech company
* Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, Belgium, Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana or Senegal.
* This is a permanent position and reports to the Head of Operations
* Major benefits:
* Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
* 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
* Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
* $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
* Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
* Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. Recently we’ve been to Miami Beach (Florida) and Estes Park (Colorado).
* We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
* We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
* We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.