In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in the US, the UK, Spain, Ireland, France, Italy and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal (and soon Bangladesh) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're looking to rapidly expand throughout the globe in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you’ll help us achieve it:
We're looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead our backend team that is focused on the user on-boarding experience. Engineering at Sendwave has stayed small throughout the company's growth and we've been able to keep things relatively loosely organized. We're getting ready to tackle more challenges more quickly- simultaneously launching multiple new markets and reinvesting in our user facing product. To achieve this we need to think about the best way to carry users through all of the steps on account creation, support and compliance that needs to happen when a user is signing up to move money across borders. You'll be responsible for both technical direction, hands on coding and mentorship of the engineers on the product team responsible for achieving this goal.
About the team:
- Currently, the Risk team is responsible for all KYC and user identity checks related to anti-fraud defenses. These include high level policies around what information we gather about our users and decisions as to which users need additional scrutiny to move before being allowed to transact.
- The team maintains workflows in our backend Python stack which consists of exposed APIs, 3rd party vendor integrations and plugins for Zendesk used by our support staff.
- The team works closely with our Product Management, Support and our other engineering teams including Mobile and Transaction teams.
- 2-4 years of experience leading a team of at least 3 high performing individual contributors ideally while at an organization undergoing rapid user growth, a faster pace of product development and increasing technical complexity.
- 4+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- We have a bias toward smaller (4 + manager), focused teams with leads that are hands on. This means our Engineering managers still write code (hopefully) a majority of the time.
- Solid understanding of server tools and concepts (databases, performance testing in general but especially web). Familiarity with cloud infrastructure (e.g. GCP, Heroku etc...)
- Demonstrated experience articulating longer term technical vision and making tradeoffs on technical/architectural decisions vs delivering immediate user value.
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks/year
- Have been a part of a rapidly growing engineering organization and have experienced (and hopefully helped to solve!) the challenges that come with growth.
- Have experience building, working with and supporting diverse teams
- Have Fintech experience, specifically in the new account space (i.e. dealing with risk and compliance issues when booking new accounts)
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
- Our company is 100% remote. We are able to employ people based in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium, and Senegal.
- We have quarterly retreats - in 2019 we went to Montreal (Canada), Dakar (Senegal), Puerto Rico, and Burlington, VT (USA).
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you:
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties
- Are passionate about achieving Wave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa - working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces - making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we've been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.