In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in the US, the UK, Spain, Ireland, France, Italy and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal (and soon Bangladesh) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're looking to rapidly expand throughout the globe in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
Our Risk Engineers build and support everything that helps lower our risk exposure. This includes integration of vendor tools, training new fraud/anomaly detection algorithms, supporting our risk operations teams and improving our monitoring capabilities. You’ll leverage your ML skills to develop accurate, data-driven defenses to fight fraud.
On any given day, you may:
- Implement new modeling to reduce our overall risk of individual and coordinated fraud attacks.
- Develop heuristics to quickly fight fraud.
- Create tooling and “explainer” models to help our risk-representatives make sense of a model result.
- Evaluate and integrate a new data sources for our fraud detection algorithms in real-time and pipe the results into our analytical environment.
- Implement policies around our model code to prevent too many users from being negatively impacted
- Develop strategies to detect previously unseen patterns that may indicate a new fraud attack.
- Automate the training and deployment of updated models.
- Develop a new anomaly detection algorithm, helping us spot strange behavior before a chargeback occurs.
- Create real-time and batch ETL jobs for our analytical tools.
- Integrate vendor APIs into our risk defenses.
- Help build experiments to evaluate new models, third-party data sources and tooling.
- Modifying UIs that serve alerts to our Risk Representatives to help them work fraud alerts more efficiently.
We're building out a best-in-class Risk infrastructure that can enable us to grow and we're hoping to find an engineer that's excited to solve data-driven problems in an adversarial environment.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Italy, Belgium or Germany
- This is a full-time, direct-hire position.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 4+ years professional experience training and deploying models.
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based.
- Possess strong software development skills.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Cloud (AWS or GCP)
- Data Engineering (Kafka, Spark, Flink or similar tools)
- Machine Learning (Scikit Learn, Tensorflow, Keras, XGBoost, H2O etc...)
You might be a good fit if you
- You like building data driven systems and know databases and SQL.
- Have strong engineering fundamentals — you've built applications as well as trained model and are comfortable with supporting all layers of the stack.
- Demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get something done. You don't mind doing things manually but automate at every opportunity.
- Are inquisitive, intellectually curious and can make sense of complex systems or information.
- Can work in a structured approach towards goals and pay attention to detail.
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have developed models that deal with extreme class imbalance
- Operationalized ML models or have a strong interest in ML
- Have fraud or financial experience.
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa-working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2019, we went to Puerto Rico, Montreal, Dakar (Senegal), Colorado and Maine.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave here. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.