AML Team Manager
Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria (and soon Bangladesh and Senegal) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We are seeking a dedicated, analytical leader with a proven track record of team management and process improvement to oversee and scale our AML & Sanctions Screening. You will leverage your expertise in AML Investigations, Sanctions Screening processes and optimizing team performance to develop this program as our company undergoes exponential growth in the coming years. Because Sendwave is both a technology company and a financial services MSB, you are comfortable straddling both worlds each day. You’ll be vigilant to create the best possible experience for our users while pursuing the aim of helping us prevent money laundering and sanctions violations.
In this role, you will:
- Oversee the Anti-Money Laundering (AML) Team of 10-20 investigators at various levels and the policies and procedures for preventing, detecting, and reporting potential money laundering. This includes managing all investigations workflows to improve efficiency and identifying areas for automation.
- Oversee company sanctions screening for the purpose of preventing terrorist financing
- Design metrics and KPIs to help quantify and improve the investigations operations. This may include working with data analysts and/or engineers Create and maintain metrics dashboards to monitor quality and efficiency of the investigations and sanctions screening processes as well as to guide process improvements
- Work with product teams, customer support and across compliance to identify opportunities to improve the customer experience, increase automation or improve operational efficiencies
- Review existing system rules, conduct testing, and manage any necessary remediation efforts and improvements to existing systems
- Respond to requests for information in a timely manner from internal and external partners and parties
- Represent AML Monitoring and Sanction policies and processes to regulators and auditors
- Communicate with customers, if necessary, to handle escalated or complicated cases with strong customer empathy and clear communication of decisions and policies
- Very good verbal & written English
- Minimum of 3 years working in the AML or other Compliance function within an MSB or other payments institution
- Minimum 1-3 years of proven lead/manager/supervisor experience over an AML or other compliance team, with an emphasis on growing and developing teams.
- Ability to effectively work remotely with a distributed team in various time zones
- Comprehensive understanding of the regulatory framework surrounding AML Monitoring and Sanctions Screening, with a strong preference for an understanding in the international remittance landscape;
- Familiarity with reading legal and regulatory documents; formulating strategy to make informed decisions, and successfully execute plans;
- Great communication and presentations skills, to support internal and external projects and audits;
- Thorough understanding of and ability to analyze and move of team’s metrics/KPIs;
- You possess an analytical mind and are able to design and manage the infrastructure and monitoring systems needed to run an effective AML and Sanctions Screening program
- You're passionate about Sendwave's mission, and excited to do what needs to be done to reach our customer experience goals.
- You have your CAMS certification
- You are familiar with ZenDesk
- You have proficiency in other languages, such as French, Swahili, Spanish, Bangla or Italian
Our company, including our support team, is 100% remote. You must live and be authorized to work in the United States or Canada
Company benefits include:
- Unlimited vacation with a minimum of 20 business days per year.
- Health & dental & Vision policies, as well as parental leave specific to country of residence.
- Subsidized fertility assistance.
- Charitable matching scheme of up to $10,000/year.
- $100/month gym membership reimbursement.
- We will (almost certainly) pay in full for whatever you want for your home office computer, monitor, desk, chair. If you prefer to work from a coworking space, feel free to do that.
- Our team of 50-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa-working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave here. Please also respond to the questions below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.