In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets and bank accounts in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
While we launched our service in Canada in 2015 and have grown organically since that time, we’ve never made a concerted push to spread the word about our services in that market. That will change this year, and we’re looking for someone persistent and creative to join our growth team to lead the charge. This role does not require any past experience working in growth/marketing or for a startup. Successful team members have come from the Peace Corps, NGOs, strategy consulting, investment firms and political campaigns.
In your first few months, you'll:
- Identify the scope of the problems a diaspora community has when it comes to sending money by embedding yourself in the community, building trust, and asking questions.
- Achieve small-scale virality by signing up new users at community events and in social hubs like restaurants and barbershops.
- Use social media, community influencers, and any other methods you see fit to scale the business.
- Work hand in hand with our digital marketing team, in charge of our paid channels.
- Build and test new user acquisition strategies: defining hypotheses, analyzing results, and iterating through new tests as we optimize our user acquisition machine.
- Throughout the above process, help us build the playbook to make country launches even faster and more successful in future markets.
- Location: Paris, with an expected travel of 25 - 50% to other hubs, within France
- This is an immersive role and requires consistent evening work and work on 75% of weekends (Wednesday/Thursday are the typical off-days for this position).
- Compensation: 54,000 EUR per year + benefits
- CDI contract
- Native or fluent English and French
- Work authorisation: You must possess the right to work in France
You might be a good fit if you
- Enjoy walking into a room of new people and striking up conversations.
- Are comfortable presenting in front of large audiences, and being interviewed on live radio.
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical in your approach
- Quickly absorb new cultural settings and understand how they might impact Sendwave's strategy
- Are eager to take on an immersive role as this one will require consistent evening and weekend work and a fair amount of travel.
- Are persuasive and can convince others to pursue a course of action.
- Possess strong habits that will keep you energised as you chase specific growth targets over periods of weeks and months in a largely autonomous role.
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve.
- Have experience meeting aggressive numeric targets
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2019, we've been to Puerto Rico, Montreal, Dakar (Senegal), Colorado and Maine.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.