The problem: In 2017, nearly 60% of adults in sub-Saharan Africa had no bank account. That's for good reason—the fees are too high, the closest branch can be miles away, and nobody takes cards. Without access to financial institutions, people are forced to keep their savings under the mattress. Small business owners rely on lenders who charge extortionate rates. Parents spend hours waiting in line to pay school fees in cash.
How we're solving it: We're building financial services to work as they should: no account fees, instantly available and accepted everywhere. In places where electricity, water and roads don't always function, we're creating financial infrastructure that "just works." In fall 2017, we launched a mobile app in Senegal for cash deposit, withdrawal, and peer-to-peer and business payments. Our goal is to make Africa the first cashless continent.
Our team has doubled in size in the past six months and we have recently built a People Operations team to help us scale effectively. We are looking for a rockstar Payroll & Benefits Specialist to streamline these functions across functional units and global locations to enable even faster growth. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
In this role, you will be part of our People team and responsible for Payroll and Benefits Administration. We currently have employees in North America, the UK, and across Europe and Sub-Saharan Francophone Africa and are continually adding new corridors. In this role, you will need to utilize your expert knowledge of and experience in processing payroll, administering benefits, and ensuring tax and other regulatory agency compliance to offer our employees a seamless compensation and benefits experience and minimize risk to the organization as we grow and scale.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Take ownership of all global payroll processing, beginning with an emphasis on US and Canada then expanding to the UK and Europe (biweekly and semi-monthly), including:
- Process and ensure timely distribution of payroll and issue and record any necessary adjustments to pay;
- Maintain employee payroll files, integrity of payroll database, periodic registers and all related payroll reports;
- Review electronic time sheets, reports, accruals, and other information to detect and reconcile payroll discrepancies;
- Verify attendance, hours worked, and pay adjustments, and post information onto designated records;
- Monitor leave time, such as vacation, sick time and PTO for employees and ensure leaves are properly tracked and processed;
- Compile statistical reports, statements, and summaries related to pay and benefits accounts, and submit them Finance and Human Resources;
- Ensure accurate and timely data entry of new hire information, benefit enrollments, employee status changes, or terminations in the HRIS system and carrier websites;
- Assist employees with any payroll or benefit related inquiries.
- Take ownership of all global benefits administration, beginning with an emphasis on US and Canada then expanding to the UK and Europe, including
- Administer various employee benefits programs, including group medical, dental, vision, FSA & HSA, disability, life & accident insurance, and COBRA;
- Take lead on the annual 401(k) audit;
- Assist with distribution of required benefits compliance documents;
- Maintain employee benefits administration in our HRIS system;
- Assist employees with benefit claims, engaging broker as needed;
- Managing the entire annual Open enrollment process, from plan selection and pricing models to employee implementation;
- Reconcile monthly premium statements for all group insurance policies against employee selections and payroll withholdings;
- Resolve administrative problems between carriers, benefit admin system, and broker;
- Responding to all related internal and external queries.
- Ensure that our payroll and benefits processes are compliant with local laws in existing countries and develop compliant policies in new launch countries;
- Coordinate with our Finance team on processing reimbursements, and ensuring payments to related vendors and suppliers;
- Record, monitor, and resolve agency tax notices with vendor and government agencies, as well as validate all agency responses.
- Perform HR-related tasks such as filing Unemployment Insurance claims, records collection/retention and other reporting;
- Design manuals/playbooks and document and improve the payroll and benefits processes as we grow our team. Research vendors and implement new integrations as needed;
- Develop controls and auditing processes to ensure accuracy and compliance;
- Support internal and external HR-related inquiries and requests, as needed;
- Build and maintain relationships by collaborating across business units and departments to foster trust, commitment, accountability and results.
- Location: We are a globally distributed remote company and you can be based anywhere in North America.
- Compensation:$65,000-$98,000 (or local equivalent) per year depending on experience, plus equity.
- This is a full-time, direct-hire position.
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance for you and your dependents and retirement contributions (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Native or fluent English.
- Existing local work authorisation (wherever it is you'd like to be based in North America).
- At least, 5 years of Global, US multi-state and Canadian payroll processing and benefits administration experience.
- 5 years of demonstrated North American payroll and tax knowledge, to ensure compliance, accuracy and proactive monitoring of payroll activities.
- Strong knowledge of US regulatory agency regulations, filing and compliance requirements, including ERISA, COBRA, FMLA, ADA, Section 125, and DOL/FLSA requirements.
- A good understanding of Canadian and European agency regulations, filing and compliance requirements.
- Strong process/systems knowledge and understanding of inter-relatedness of various payroll and HR work streams.
- Significant experience working with HR technology, data and reporting.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Finance, HR or related field.
Bonus points if
- You speak French.
- You have experience in managing payroll and benefits across Europe and Africa in addition to North America.
- You have experience with Global Mobility and have processed shadow payrolls.
- You have a CPP or PHR certification.
You might be a good fit if you
- Display remarkable conflict management and decision-making skills;
- Keep up-to-date with the latest payroll and benefits trends and best practices;
- Are highly organized and meticulously detail-oriented - you like to roll up your sleeves and get into the nitty-gritty;
- Have enthusiasm for repetitive tasks;
- Are driven to face tasks head on, complete them efficiently, and move on to the next ones;
- Are inquisitive, collaborative, and analytical in your approach to problems and are eager to think outside of the box when faced with potential roadblocks;
- Are highly tech-savvy [Google Suite, Slack, Quip, MS Office, including strong MS Excel skills], Mac proficient and feel comfortable troubleshooting tech issues;
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change (we’re a startup - change occurs regularly and rapidly!);
- Have previously worked for a remote company and are effective at working independently.
- We're a distributed HQ team of ~60 people who are deeply passionate about our mission of bringing great financial services to the people who need them most. Our team works remotely across North America, Europe and Africa.
- Every nine weeks our HQ team goes on a five-day retreat together in French-speaking sub-Saharan Africa.
- We’re backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator, and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave and this role, as well as responding to the questions below.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.