Annually, one billion immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed users in North America and Europe to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ghana, Nigeria (and soon Bangladesh and Senegal) saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand globally in the next year. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We are seeking dedicated, analytical candidates with a proven track record of performance to be part of a centralized regulatory Compliance Team for a fast growing Money Service Business (MSB).
As an international remittance company, Sendwave is subject to many regulatory requirements to prevent money laundering and terrorist financing. As such, Sendwave must conduct investigations and due diligence research on users that demonstrate potentially suspicious transaction activity. The Compliance Support Team conducts necessary investigations while maintaining a positive experience for our legitimate users. The Compliance Specialist position relies on excellent judgment to plan and accomplish goals, working under very limited supervision of a manager.
- Analyze and investigate complex user transactions and prepare due diligence reports
- Explain Sendwave compliance requirements to users
- Explain escalations and root cause of user behavior to compliance management
- Clearly and timely communicate findings, determinations and recommendations for clearing and blocking users suspected of activity that violates Sendwave Terms & Conditions
- Evaluate user applications for increasing sending limits
- Review sanctions screening and watchlist to prevent terrorist financing
- Fluent in English
- Associates Degree or 1-2 years of professional work experience
- Basic knowledge of Google Chrome Operating System (Chromebook), Google Sheets, Google Docs and Google Hangouts
- Excellent individual problem-solving and analytical skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable working remotely and maintaining a professional work environment
- i.e. dedicated home office or quiet location since the position requires significant time speaking with users
- Analytical and capable of succeeding in a fast-paced team and digital environment
- Self-motivating with a focus on self-improvement
- Appreciation of the legal, compliance, and financial context of role and display appropriate sensitivity to the confidential nature of the work
Bonus points, if:
- Fluent in Swahili
- Familiar with Slack
- Familiar with ZenDesk
- 1 year of experience in regulatory or compliance environment, a regulatory agency, risk management or other internal control functions (Trade Compliance, Banking, Law firm) within a complex international organization
- Experience in a compliance role, trade compliance function, payments, money transmitter or banking industry
- Hourly with opportunity for overtime
- Pay range: $20 / hour
- Full-time @40 hours per week, 5 days per week
- Opportunity for promotion and career advancement in fast growing team / company
- Location: anywhere in the United States
- Flexible Schedule: Monday-Saturday between 9am-8pm EST
- 100% remote work
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa-working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
If interested, please apply by submitting a resume as well as a cover letter describing your interest in Wave here. Please also respond to the questions below. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.