Immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and M-Pesa, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly and affordably to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Ghana, Uganda, & Tanzania, saving our users countless hours and tens of millions of dollars in transfer fees.
We recently launched remittances to Nigeria, where we're growing quickly, and are looking to rapidly expand throughout Africa in 2020. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
You will join Sendwave’s existing seven-member finance team as our second treasury hire. This role plays a vital part in the operations of the company by ensuring sufficient funds are available at all times for the disbursement of our users transfers.
You will be responsible for:
- Supporting Sendwave’s cash management - planning and executing currency trades to make sure our users money is where it needs to be, at the right time.
- Building relationships with existing and prospective bank partners to ensure optimisation of FX costs over the medium/long term.
- Management of existing and new funding channels, ensuring the most efficient utilisation per channel (debt facilities / credit lines).
- Modelling operational volumes by send/receive markets, incorporating monthly and seasonal trends in customer behaviour.
- Building and maintaining short and medium term cash flow forecasts for operational funds flows.
- Collaborating on Sendwave's pricing strategy, market analysis, working with partner banks and ensuring funding lines are utilised in the most effective manner.
- Maintain and own processes for monthly close in UK/Europe including salaries & wages postings, accruals/prepayments and bank reconciliations.
- Developing a playbook for treasury which Sendwave can replicate as it expands to new countries.
- Working closely with the finance engineering team to respond to queries around transactional, funds flow and partner specific issues.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. For this role, you will need to be based in, or between, GMT and EAT timezones.
- For this role, we are able to hire in Belgium, Germany, United Kingdom, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Kenya or Senegal.
- Salary: $100,000 - $130,000
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 5 years experience in Financial Services, specifically operating in a multi currency environment, with exposure to fx
- 2 years experience in accounting
- Have demonstrable experience of building reporting models and forecasts
- Strong grasp of banking operations and money markets
You might be a good fit if you have
- CPA designation or in process of obtaining such designation.
- Worked within a Treasury team.
- Are enthusiastic about learning new reporting tools, solving unique problems, and optimizing processes.
- Can navigate ambiguity and find creative ways to solve problems.
- Are a goal-oriented leader, capable of working on fast-moving small team as both an individual contributor and manager
- Are passionate about Wave's mission and eager to do what needs to be done to achieve it
Bonus points if you
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people operations professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2019, we've been to Montreal (Canada), Dakar (Senegal), Maine (USA), Puerto Rico (USA) and Colorado (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.