Immigrants worldwide send over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets & bank accounts in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, & Tanzania, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted remittances to Nigeria, where we're growing quickly, and are looking to scale our team (and team processes) to enable even faster growth. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We are looking for someone who approaches complex team challenges with a product mindset, meaning that you begin with deep empathy for our employees and think from first principles about how to solve their pain points. Your product is SendWave’s culture and you will take ownership over building a superlative employee experience as we scaale, one that empowers our employees to do their best work in service of our mission. In this role, you should expect to spend some days diving into administrative detail (because you are biased towards action and do the things that need to be done) and other days, taking a step back to design a process, write a spec, or reflect on how to improve yourself. You are open-minded and warm-hearted. You have grit, a vision, and a voice, but you also see the potential in others and find satisfaction from helping people become their best selves.
You will be joining one of the largest fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world, with 90-odd people working remotely across North America, Europe, and Africa. We are on the cutting edge of how work is evolving globally and together we are building a vibrant and inclusive culture that empowers people from around the world to do their best work.
You will be working directly with Sendwave's leadership team to own our culture and reporting to Sendwave's Head of People. Specifically, in collaboration with three HR generalists and two in-house recruiters, you will:
- Be the expert on our employees as users - lead and administer our employee survey, run focus groups, conduct 1:1s, and build journey maps to deeply understand our employees and share that knowledge with leadership
- Partner with leadership to find ways to reinforce our culture & help team members live our values
- Onboard new employees and ensure that their first few days at Sendwave are seamless and enjoyable
- Organize our in-person retreats from first principles
- Be the “go-to” person for specific People requests at Sendwave
- Own internal communication tools (Slack, Quip, all-hands) and find ways to make these more productive
- Advocate for Sendwave business and priorities within People team
- Pilot people programs in order to test new ideas
- In collaboration with leadership, develop pathways for professional development within Sendwave including in building and training leaders
- Source, interview, evaluate, and guide applicants through the recruiting process (spend up to 1 day per week on recruiting) with a focus on building pathways for internal applicants
- Contribute to other important and urgent projects on the People team as needed
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Ghana, Kenya, Senegal, United Kingdom and the United States.
- Travel requirement: You will be expected to travel several weeks a year in order to spend time with team members.
- This is a permanent position.
- Native or fluent English
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you'd like to be based)
- 3-5 years work experience in product management, people operations, or consulting
You might be a good fit if you
- Have built or run a product focused on employee experience
- Have successfully designed, launched, and scaled processes for sales, customer service, or people organizations
- Have coached managers or led management or diversity and inclusion trainings
- Have organized and facilitated large meetings
- Enjoy leadership and have founded or led organizations of any size
- Are excellent at communication, both written and verbal
bonus points if you
- Have significant experience working on a distributed team as it scaled to 100+ people
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- We are a distributed group of ten engineers, twenty-five ops team members, and over fifty support representatives spread across three continents who are deeply passionate about our mission.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we traveled to Vancouver, Lisbon, Austin and Burlington.
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, participate in Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
How to apply
If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in the role below.
Wave is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.