In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
We’re looking for a talented Engineering Manager to lead the product engineering team. Engineering at Sendwave has stayed small throughout the company’s growth and we’ve been able to keep things relatively loosely organized. We’re getting ready to tackle more challenges more quickly— simultaneously launching multiple new markets and reinvesting in our user facing product. To achieve this, we need a bigger and better organized product engineering team. You’ll be responsible for hiring and organizing this new engineering team, and together with Product Management scaling it up.
About the team
- The product engineering team is responsible for both our native iOS and Android clients and our python backend, including APIs, transaction delivery, performance, and support tools.
- The team is currently 4 people; we’re currently hiring for up to 4 more by the end of January.
- The team works hand-in-hand with Product Management, Risk, Support and other teams to deliver a seamless experience for our users, helping them to send money easily and affordably.
Day to day roles would include
- Working with Product Management to prioritize engineering work, and make tradeoffs between product needs and developer productivity goals.
- Mentorship and coaching of other engineers to facilitate long-term growth.
- Reviewing code and design docs for other team members.
- Planning for longer-term team needs, and designing architectures and staffing strategies to meet these.
- Hiring and onboarding new team members.
- Multiple years experience leading a team or teams of engineers with at least five individual contributors, ideally while at an organization undergoing rapid user growth, a faster pace of product development, and increasing technical complexity
- 6+ years of professional software engineering experience or 4+ of professional software engineering experience in a high-growth, rapidly changing environment
- Solid understanding of server tools and concepts (python, databases, web performance) and familiarity with mobile (iOS & Android) platforms, and cloud infrastructure (e.g. AWS, GCP, Heroku).
- Demonstrated experience articulating a longer term technical vision and making complex technical/architectural tradeoffs thoughtfully and collaboratively to get there
- A willingness to travel 4 weeks / year
Bonus points if you
- Have led teams of teams before
- Have been part of a rapidly growing engineering organization and have experienced (and hopefully helped to solve!) the challenges that come with growth
- Have experience building, working with and supporting diverse teams
- Have experience with DevOps and with the tools/technologies/processes for building easy developer workflows
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
- Our company is 100% remote. We are able to employ people based in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Belgium, and Senegal.
- We have quarterly retreats - in 2019 we went to Montreal (Canada), Dakar (Senegal), Puerto Rico, and Burlington, VT (USA).
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
You might be a good fit if you
- Are a self-starter, take initiative, self-manage and require little day-to-day direction to be successful
- Take responsibility for the outcomes of your core duties
- Are passionate about achieving Wave's mission and are excited at the prospect of lowering remittance costs for diaspora communities.
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we've been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
- Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.