In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Wave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, Tanzania, and Nigeria saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
How you'll help us achieve it
To achieve our mission, we need make sure our app is easy to use for every interaction from signup to sending to editing info to resetting your password. You’ll work closely with our Head of Product to fix highly impactful user problems and A/B test interface changes to make the experience even smoother and quicker. You’ll eventually be the primary code owner of our iOS app, and the go-to person for when someone else on the team has a hairy iOS problem they need help with, but it won’t be all iOS work though— you will need to work across client and server to solve problems end-to-end.
In your first few months, you'll
- Streamline in-app signup and verification flows
- Set up A/B tests to measure the impact of your work
- Help us build a top-tier referral program to help users share their love of Sendwave with their friends
- Advise other engineers on iOS development questions and challenges
- Participate in an on-call rotation to handle problems outside of business hours so that our system is always available to our users
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France, or Belgium.
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- 2-4 years professional experience as a full stack or front end engineer
- Significant experience working with iOS— you don’t need to know every detail of the iOS environment off the top of your head, but you should have a strong enough foundation to figure out those details when needed
- Work authorization in the country in which you intend to be based.
You might be a good fit if you
- Care about users and want to make their experience easier and better
- Are more of a “get it done” type person than a perfectionist
- Aren’t afraid to throw away code you wrote when after testing, a flow you built doesn’t work as well as another one
- Can easily communicate with non-technical folks and translate their feedback into code.
- Are comfortable defaulting to over-communication and overreaching when it comes to coordination.
- Adjust quickly to changing priorities and conditions and cope effectively with complexity and change.
Bonus points if you
- Have worked on a growth team before
- Possess hands-on experience with Python
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa — working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we've been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Wave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.