In 2018, immigrants worldwide sent over $600 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Wave's mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed Africans in the US, the UK, and Canada to send money instantly to mobile money wallets & bank accounts in Kenya, Uganda, Ghana, & Tanzania, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We recently piloted remittances to Nigeria, where we're growing quickly, and are looking to scale our team (and team processes) to enable even faster growth. That's where you come in...
How you'll help us achieve it
We view our collective culture, values and habits as a product whose users are the employees — a product that needs to work well and grow if our remittance product is to change the way money is moved worldwide. We’re looking for someone to work directly with the CEO and management team to shape the direction and scaling of the Wave People product — by recruiting, managing and retaining the diverse team we’re assembling to achieve our mission. We want to build the world's best remote workforce and workplace, and we're in it for the long run.
Responsibilities will include:
- Deeply understand, shape, and be an ambassador for our culture, values, and habits
- Articulate the story and principles of Wave by interviewing employees
- Make sure culture is propagated to new hires
- Make sure recruits see and experience the culture during the hiring process
- Design strategy and process to attract and retain a high-quality diverse team
- Update the performance measurement and compensation/benefits strategy
- Design and execute employee surveys to get actionable feedback on management and culture
- Develop hiring process stages that address bias in hiring pipeline and job descriptions
- Ensure employees keep growing throughout their time at Wave
- Design strategy and process for internal communications and management, including:
- Playbooks, processes, and tools to make communication just work (synchronous and asynchronous) for our distributed team across three continents
- Playbooks, processes, and tools to maximize the value of our weeklong quarterly company retreats
- Lead the People team (currently one recruiter and two generalists) and set the execution bar for achieving all of the above
- Location: Our company is 100% remote. You can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, France or Belgium.
- This is a permanent position
- Major benefits:
- Subsidized health insurance and retirement contribution matching (both vary from country-to-country)
- 26 weeks fully paid parental leave and subsidized fertility assistance
- Unlimited vacation with a 20-day minimum requirement
- $10,000 annual charitable donation matching
- Native or fluent English.
- Local work authorization (wherever it is you'd like to be based).
You might be a good fit if you
- You were the #1 or #2 people leader through the scaling phase of a startup.
- Have managed successful teams and have the metrics & references to prove it.
- Are intellectually curious, creative in the way you go about tackling problems, and embrace failure as a means to spark innovation and growth.
- Possess a bias toward action and testing, and are analytical in your approach.
- Are persuasive and can convince others to pursue a course of action.
- Live by and champion our values, including: ruthlessly prioritize, embrace embarrassing honesty, and always put users first.
Bonus points if you
- Have significant experience working on a remote team as it scaled to 100+ people.
- Are familiar with the diasporas we serve.
- Our team of 30-odd engineers, finance & compliance professionals, marketers, & people ops professionals as well as nearly 60 customer support personnel are fully distributed across North America, Europe, and Africa-working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces- making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- Each quarter, we go on a five-day retreat together. In 2018, we've been to Vancouver, BC (Canada), Lisbon (Portugal), Austin, TX (USA) and Burlington, VT (USA).
- We play in bands, teach dance classes, run Vipassana retreats, played semi-pro basketball, and built tools to help Doctors Without Borders respond to the Ebola crisis.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We're backed by world-class investors including Khosla Ventures, Founders Fund, Y Combinator and the cofounders of PayPal.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please apply via the box below with a cover letter and resume.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Wave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.