Watershed is a software platform for running a world-class climate program. We measure our success in the carbon reduction achievements of our customers. We are looking for team members who love product-building, want to work hard at a mission-oriented startup, and will collaborate with us in shaping the culture of a growing team.
We have a small office in San Francisco and remote team members across US timezones. We hope that you'll be interested in joining us!
Our customers rely on Watershed to be their all-in-one climate program, leveraging data into climate action. A crucial component of that is helping tell their stories and define Watershed's own brand. We're looking for our first brand designer to help lead these efforts.
We're looking for some who has:
- Created excellent brands from scratch
- Strong storytelling skills, particularly when it comes to distilling otherwise complex narratives into straightforward engaging stories
- Excellent skills in typography, color, layout, and composition
- Familiarity with motion design, illustration, photography, and/or art direction
- Is ready to go deep on climate and understand the ins-and-outs of our customer's climate programs. Prior experience in the climate space is not necessary.
- Is wiling to iterate quickly and try a lot of things out – we're in the early days of defining our brand and need to experiment a ton
- Is comfortable working across a range of mediums and with a variety of teams
Examples of projects you would work on at Watershed:
- Design in-product explainers of key climate concepts
- Pair with product designer to develop and extend our design system
- Art direct our marketplace of carbon removal and clean power projects
- Collaborate with marketing and growth teams on climate content, product launches, and events
- Work with the rest of the team to set overall company direction, sales goals, and hiring goals.
What's your approach to remote work?
Watershed is hiring team members on all US time zones, and we're committed to growing a long-term distributed team. We have a hub office in San Francisco, and remote team members from Washington to New Jersey.
What are Watershed's return-to-office plans?
We reopened our San Francisco office in mid-June, and treasure the energy and collaboration that comes from working together in person. We're particularly lucky to have a large outdoor space, where we gather for lunch, one-on-one's, and the occasional outdoor whiteboarding session. We're also investing deeply to support remote as a first-class hub, with regular Zoom social time, an emphasis on transparency and written artifacts, and periodic offsites to gather everybody in person.
We're a COVID-cautious company. The office is currently open to vaccinated team members, and we'll pay close attention to vaccination and case rates to ensure it's safe for everybody.
Do I need X years of experience, climate experience, etc.?
No, Watershed is hiring team members with a broad range of prior experience, and we'd love to talk with you regardless of yours. We prioritize mentorship on the job.
What's the interview process like?
It starts the same for every candidate: getting to know the team members through two to three conversations about Watershed, your experience, and your interests. During these conversations, we'll agree together on a written plan of the interview process for your particular role. Usually this begins with a skill screen (e.g. a coding interview for an engineer, or a portfolio review for a designer). We prioritize transparency and lack of surprise throughout the process.