Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Lead Mode Designer to assist in the creation of worlds in In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting Free to Play project aimed at a western audience.
As Lead Mode Designer, you will be responsible for bringing the battle game together. You’ll be responsible for the core Game Mode, future modes and the core PVE and Map gameplay elements that help make our game unique. You will report to the Design Director, working with stakeholders to make sure the game perpetually excites and retains players. To do this, you’ll be managing both general game designers and specialists like Ai designers. You’ll be expected to mentor and develop them, alongside delivering an awesome game.
In this position, you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and can share your knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong set of design principles, and the ability to direct multiple areas of the game toward the same vision.
You will report to the Design Director.
What will you do?
- Lead the design of a core Game Mode for a free-to-play “games-as-a-service” title built in UE4
- Mentor and lead the Game Mode design team
- Establish and maintain good working practices
- Support recruitment where necessary
- Contribute to and implement the vision of the game
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders and external studios
- Gather direction from the Creative Director, Design Director, and other Leads to develop quality designs whilst hitting deadlines
- Collaborate with technical teams to oversee the implementation of Ai, mode and map gameplay systems, ensuring that the final product meets technical, design and product goals
- Collaborate with analysts and evaluate metrics, user testing, and other sources of feedback, to identify issues
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience across multiple products including experience as a lead
- “Games as a service” and/or free-to-play experience
- An excellent understanding of PVEVP multiplayer titles
- Experience creating exciting and memorable PVE encounters
- A good understanding of events and live service game development
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Willingness to take initiative and responsibility to increase the quality of the game and health of the team
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience working with 3rd person PVP multiplayer titles
- Experience working with Battle Royale or Extraction Shooters
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Operating since 1998, Wargaming has become one of the leaders in the gaming industry with 15 offices worldwide, including studios in Chicago, Prague, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Vilnius. Our diverse and multicultural team works together to deliver a top-class experience to millions of players who enjoy Wargaming's titles across all major gaming platforms. Our flagship products include free-to-play hits World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Tanks Blitz.