Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for an exceptionally skilled Lead Hard Surface Artist, to assist in the creation of mechs for the next big free-to-play title.
You’ll naturally be a hardworking, self-motivated team player with a good sense of humour, who can integrate seamlessly into our team and studio culture, be able to work closely with the Art Director and Art Production Director, to create and be responsible for large sections of the game.
You’ll be passionate about hard surface and character 3d art, highly conceptual, have a strong mechanical and character background, which includes animation design, setup, and optimization. You’ll have strong managerial skills and experience managing a team.
You’ll bring your excellent verbal and written skills, with the ability to take critique and give feedback to external partners, as well as fully participating in group discussions.
In this position you’ll be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
The Lead Hard Surface Artist will report to the Art Production Director.
What will you do?
- Create imaginative and innovative hard-surface 3D Mechs
- Translate concept and reference artwork into 3D game assets as required, setting a high-quality bar
- Help design, construct, document and implement pipeline procedures
- Prototype new techniques and processes
- Create high-poly and low-poly models and accompanying texture sets that use advanced shaders
- Work closely with the Art Production Director to review and critique asset deliveries for internal and external teams
- Supervise the Hard Surface Art Team
- Help support off-site development partners
- Collaborate with the Art Director to deliver innovation and drive quality
- Assist the Art Production Director in planning within this discipline
What are we looking for?
- Strong proven production art experience in the gaming industry
- At least 3+ published games
- Proven ability to create exceptional realistic and hard-surface models
- Excellent understanding of 3D character production pipelines
- Exceptional knowledge of 3dSMax or equivalent 3d modeling package
- Excellent sculpting skills in ZBrush
- High level expertise in Substance painter
- Significant Unreal 4 development experience with at least one released title
- A great eye for detail, natural flair & a strong understanding of composition & colour theory
- Excellent verbal and written skills, and be able to both take critique and give feedback internally and externally in a professional manner
- Diligent self-management around both individual and team tasks, schedule and budgets
- Strong organizational skills with adherence to optimization and asset management
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Traditional art skills (drawing, painting, sculpting, photography)
- Concept skills – Ability to visualize and concept with this discipline
- BA in art or related field or equivalent experience
- Samples of your work displaying clean High Poly to Low Poly bakes, strong understanding of material variation and realistic texturing
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Operating since 1998, Wargaming has become one of the leaders in the gaming industry with 15 offices worldwide, including studios in Chicago, Prague, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Vilnius. Our diverse and multicultural team works together to deliver a top-class experience to millions of players who enjoy Wargaming's titles across all major gaming platforms. Our flagship products include free-to-play hits World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Tanks Blitz.