Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for exceptionally skilled Lead Level Designer to help inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience, this will be the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world.
As Lead Level Designer, you will be responsible for the level design team and the quality of their work. You will collaborate with the Creative Director and Lead Game Designer and use level design to ensure the game reaches its full potential.
You will help define and implement best practices in level design and define the level design guidelines for future development. Along with the Lead Game Designer, you will help recruit, mentor and develop the level design team.
You will be a hardworking self-motivated team player who is able to work closely with all disciplines to create & be responsible for elements of the games fun!
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a good sense of humour who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, a solid singing voice, sweet dance moves, and an ability to pun will all stand you in good stead.
You will report to the Design Director
What will you do?
- Collaborate with the Creative Director and other Leads to contribute innovative ideas and resolve design issues
- Work with other disciplines to ensure every level achieves its full potential
- Direct and work with the level design team to create, iterate and refine levels that provide a fun, balanced and engaging experience
- Supervise the development of all levels through initial planning, grey-box, feature implementation through the art pipeline to release
- Create documentation on guidelines and working practices for level design on this project
- Work with metrics and heatmaps as part of ongoing iteration and polish for each level
- Collaborate with the code team to develop and enhance any tools required to streamline the level design process
- Work with other Leads to run regular level reviews at multiple stages of implementation to ensure the design execution matches the overall creative vision
What are we looking for?
- Proven level design experience in game industry, including multiple titles shipped
- Experience recruiting, mentoring and developing the level design team
- Solid experience taking levels from concept to completion
- A comprehensive understanding of gameplay level design including multiplayer map design, player movement and signposting
- A great sense for what makes a game or level fun
- A strong methodology and problem-solving ability
- Previous work experience with Unreal and a solid understanding of Blueprints
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Have a solid understanding of environmental storytelling
- Experience making maps for vehicular combat games
- Experience making multiplayer maps
- Experience implementing environmental destruction implementation (especially in Unreal 4)
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Operating since 1998, Wargaming has become one of the leaders in the gaming industry with 15 offices worldwide, including studios in Chicago, Prague, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Vilnius. Our diverse and multicultural team works together to deliver a top-class experience to millions of players who enjoy Wargaming's titles across all major gaming platforms. Our flagship products include free-to-play hits World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Tanks Blitz.