Want to become a new-store-opening beast? Love airline miles and weaving your way through some of the nation’s coolest neighborhoods and lifestyle centers? This active, people-oriented, project-driven role is for you!
The Project Manager for Retail Store Construction will support the Director of New Stores and Facilities by leading projects from design development through to bidding, permitting, construction management, and turnover of the space to the retail operations team. Experienced and sophisticated in site and vendor management, the person in this role is a node for all departments within the company with respect to new store development. The Project Manager is accountable for the timeline, budget, quality control, and successful buildout of our flagship retail stores across the country.
What you’ll do:
- 75% of your time and energy will be focused on retail store construction projects, including flagship stores, streetfront and neighborhood locations, and short-term concept shops
- The other 25% or so will go towards light renovations (e.g.. existing store design modifications and rollouts across multiple stores or regions.)
- Manage project buildouts from design development through turnover, closely collaborating with store designers and managers, internal departments, external agencies, landlords, and architectural partners to ensure that we optimize each store for seamless operations while achieving desired designs within budgets (we’re talking form and function!)
- Review architectural plans, shop drawings, lighting proposals, and other documentation related to design development and construction processes
- Perform site due diligence review and advise the Warby Parker real estate team on base building conditions, layouts, dimensions, and engineering requirements
- Develop a bottoms-up budget and timeline for executive-level approval and manage both throughout the project
- Prepare bid packages for General Contractors, manage RFIs and shop drawings approvals, review and approve materials quotes, and level and negotiate GC bids for contact award
- Facilitate weekly project meetings with GCs, designers, OFI vendors, and landlords as needed
Who you are:
- Equipped with 5+ years of experience in retail construction project management
- Multiple projects at once managing project budgets and diverse teams
- Experience in the luxury retail store development industry
- Armed with strong budgeting and computer skill sets (spreadsheets make your heart beat)
- An expertly organized person with uncharted attention to detail (almost—almost!—to a fault)
- An excellent communicator with negotiation skills that could resolve geopolitical conflicts
- A natural leader experienced in vendor management and the facilitation of large teams of internal and external vendors
- An expert in reviewing and interpreting architectural drawings and construction site management
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, and Powerpoint
- A bachelor’s degree related to project management
- 4+ years of U.S. military project management experience
- Design project management experience
- Working knowledge of project management software such as MS Project
About Warby Parker:
Warby Parker is a transformative lifestyle brand with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By engaging directly with consumers, we’re able to offer ultra-high-quality, vintage-inspired frames for $95 including prescription lenses and shipping. We focus on the bigger picture, too: social innovation is woven into the DNA of our company, and for every pair of glasses purchased, a pair is distributed to someone in need.
Because all work and no play makes a dull office, we fill our days with snacks, surprises, pneumatic tubes, and, when appropriate, costumes. As a team member at Warby Parker, you can also look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and brain-stimulating activities.
In 2015, Fast Company named us the #1 Most Innovative Company. We’re also a certified B Corporation, which means that we are held to the highest standards of social and environmental performance.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Free eyewear (discounts for friends and family!)
- Health & wellness stipend
- Quarterly team outings