The Retail Store Design Manager is responsible for leading, in a highly creative and fiscally responsible manner, the strategic execution of all store planning and store design activities for the brand. Reporting to the Head of Development, the person in this role will support the development process for new and remodel store growth by overseeing key design approvals, weekly design meetings, and design development schedules. They’ll apply their extensive experience to provide clear and concise store design solutions while maintaining on-time and on-budget store opening goals. They’ll also manage external architects and interface with the Real Estate, Construction, Retail Operations, Visual, IT, LP, and field leadership teams involved in the store development process.
What you’ll do:
- Serve as the owner and liaison of the brand’s retail store prototype and design process and ensure compliance with strict adherence to brand standards
- Actively research current trends in retail design and architecture, and provides insight to brand, visual, construction and real estate partners to influence store LOD decisions
- Take responsibility for the management of store-specific retail-design development timelines and ensures all landlord, local, and state approvals are secured
- Collaborate closely with retail operations and construction leadership to ensure that all aspects of the store development design process are collaboratively executing to meet the brand vision and capital spend guidelines
- Oversee all store planning and design activities for high-profile and complex store design development projects, providing guidance to internal and external design teams to ensure that design evolves with the brand
- Develop new store fixtures and millwork as required to support business needs, and review and approve shop drawings to ensure that design intent is met and that brand integrity is maintained
- Partner with the Director of Construction to ensure that our standardized prototype budget templates are aligned with our required construction costs
- Manage internal and external store design planners to develop creative solutions for store layouts, and prepare architectural plans and elevation proposals for internal review
- Manage weekly design review and approval process
- Maintain brand standards/prototype drawings for each project type
- Drive continuous improvement processes and leads internal/external business partners to assure site specific quality control, and advocates continuous feedback to the design team.
Who you are:
- Backed by 7–10 years related experience in design, architecture, and/or corporate and speciality retail environments
- The proud owner of a bachelor’s degree in architecture or interior design
- Able and eager to develop collaborative relationships with key business partners.
- Able to conceptualize spatial designs and architectural brand imaging
- A master planner, prioritizer, and multi-tasker who’s ready to work in a fast-paced environment.
- An excellent communicator (in person, over email, via carrier pigeon… all of it!)An all-star problem-solver with razor-sharp analytical skills
- Experienced in project management
- Proficient in AutoCAD (Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator)
- Experienced with web-based Project management software a plus (Expesite)
About Warby Parker:
Warby Parker is a transformative lifestyle brand with a lofty objective: to offer designer eyewear at a revolutionary price while leading the way for socially conscious businesses. By engaging directly with consumers, we’re able to offer ultra-high-quality, vintage-inspired frames for $95 including prescription lenses and shipping. We focus on the bigger picture, too: social innovation is woven into the DNA of our company, and for every pair of glasses purchased, a pair is distributed to someone in need.
Because all work and no play makes a dull office, we fill our days with snacks, surprises, pneumatic tubes, and, when appropriate, costumes. As a team member at Warby Parker, you can also look forward to company outings, guest speakers, volunteering opportunities, and brain-stimulating activities.
In 2015, Fast Company named us the #1 Most Innovative Company. We’re also a certified B Corporation, which means that we are held to the highest standards of social and environmental performance.
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Cell phone reimbursement
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Free eyewear (discounts for friends and family!)
- Health & wellness stipend
- Quarterly team outings