Warby Parker is on the lookout for a super-skilled software engineer to join our Research and Development team—helping us imagine and build the next generation of innovative Warby Parker products and services for our customers (as well as tools to support our internal teams). In this role, you’ll work with teammates across multiple functions to develop prototypes that unlock the potential of innovative research concepts and transition them to production-ready software. You’ll handle continuously evolving projects that require curiosity and perseverance, developing solutions for present (and future!) technical and business challenges with creativity and a multidisciplinary mindset. Sound a lot like you? Fantastic. Read on.
What you’ll do:
- Apply your experience and expertise to understand application needs (e.g., platform? Latency? Real time on-device or in the cloud?)
- Craft software to advance successful proof-of-concept applications to polished prototypes that meet real-world application requirements, supporting multiple R&D programs at once
- Build SDKs following Warby Parker’s style guides and documentation requirements, making R&D discoveries available for new feature and product development—and providing building blocks for our Engineering and Product teams to construct new features, products, and services
- Look ahead toward releases of new platforms and work to support future-proof, robust products
- Document developments and support the application of your work across teams, ensuring the smooth graduation of successful projects and processes to Product and Engineering teams
- Research and build technical reviews for new initiatives within our core research subjects, benchmarking against best-in-class comparable examples
- Collaborate with internal technical teams and the broader Warby Parker tech community to identify solutions to both emerging and long-standing challenges
- Follow innovations, new thinking, and best practices in software engineering and translate them to Warby Parker inventions
Who you are:
- Backed by 3+ years of professional software engineering experience
- Excited to collaborate with others across the Warby Parker Technology ecosystem, get involved in all stages of the product development lifecycle (from concept through deployment), and tackle challenges along the way
- Experienced in the Swift programming language and in iOS best practices and design patterns (and familiar with other mobile platforms)
- A seasoned technical whiz with experience in client-server architecture and best practices for concurrency and threading
- Creative and empathetic, especially when it comes to design and development
- A well-rounded communicator who can clearly present and document complex subjects for technically minded peers and stakeholders
- Ultra-organized, attentive to detail, and able to delivery with a high level of autonomy—while also comfortable with ambiguity, juggling multiple priorities, and staying aligned with the team’s larger goals and needs
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Experience in new product and applied research
- A passion for translating and sharing new technologies
- Experience with languages such as C, C++, and Objective-C
- Knowledge of functional programming paradigms
- Proficiency building experiences with ARKit and working with on-device ML
- Experience with ARKit and SceneKit
- Experience with Reactive Cocoa
- Knowledge of iOS architectures (i.e., MVP, MVVM, VIPER, MVI)
- Experience with computer vision, vision or clinical vision care research, e-commerce product development, and/or project management
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact—and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.