Senior Accountant, Leasing New York City, NY
We’re searching for an experienced Senior Accountant, Leasing to join our growing Accounting team. The person in this role will be responsible for implementing best-practice policies and procedures to ensure the accurate and timely accounting for our rapidly expanding real estate fleet. Our ideal candidate is a hands-on—not to mention disciplined and detail-oriented—self-starter with an eye for process improvement and a knack for working independently in a high-volume environment. Sound like you? Keep reading!
What you’ll do:
- Reconcile rent-related transactions on a monthly basis and investigate and resolve any discrepancies
- Analyze all occupancy expenses to ensure proper coding, allocation between COGS and operating expenses, and accrual of unbilled charges
- Provide data-driven explanations to any material fluctuations in occupancy expenses and related balance sheet accounts
- Provide support for the adoption of ASC 842 and oversee ongoing accounting requirements of the new standard
- Serve as department subject matter expert for all internal and external lease-related inquiries, escalating as needed, and assist in resolving any issues identified
- Work closely with our third-party lease administration team to review lease abstraction and deferral schedules for new leases, modifications, and terminations
- Respond to audit and interdepartmental requests or questions related to real estate and leases
- Review and follow up on monthly recurring and one-time landlord bills for accuracy and obtain approvals as needed from real estate and finance teams prior to payment
Who you are:
- Backed by 3-4 years of accounting experience with exposure to leases and deferred rent
- The proud owner of a Bachelor of Science in accounting or finance
- A total Excel expert (keyboard shortcuts are your love language)
- Consistently looking for new and innovative ways to work
- A highly communicative team player and self-starter willing to roll up your sleeves and get the job done
- Incredibly organized, detail-oriented, and excited by the challenge of improving and documenting processes
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- Experience using NetSuite
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact—and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.