Warby Parker is on the lookout for an Opto-mechanical Engineer to join our Research and Development team. In this role, you will help imagine and build the next generation of innovative Warby Parker products and services for our customers, as well as tools to support our teams. You’ll work across departments to help develop new products, prototype and test new tools and processes, and analyze the impact of material and design choices on function and durability in these projects.
As a Research Engineer, you will apply your expertise in optics and mechanical engineering to longstanding and emerging challenges, helping to identify and prove new solutions. Your work will impact how Warby Parker provides vision care to our customers, and how we deliver the highest quality products as part of a pioneering team. You will be responsible for tracking and translating new discoveries to Warby Parker applications. We’ll count on you to handle continuously evolving projects with a passion for learning, curiosity, and perseverance. Our ideal candidate is able to develop solutions for present (and future!) technical and business challenges with creativity and a multi-disciplinary mindset. Sound a lot like you? Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Develop imaginative solutions that will power future Warby Parker products and services
- Apply your technical expertise in mechanical engineering, geometrical optics, materials engineering, and beyond to support multiple Research and Development programs at a time
- Use specialized tools to design, optimize, and analyze new products, and lead prototype production and hands-on testing
- Collaborate with our Product and Engineering teams to define opportunities not met by existing tools and systems
- Document discoveries and support application of your work across teams, ensuring the smooth graduation of successful projects and processes to Product and Manufacturing teams
- Research and build technical reviews for new initiatives within core research subjects, benchmarking against best-in-class comparable examples
- Collaborate with broader research communities and internal technical teams to identify options that will address emerging and long-standing challenges
- Identify and capture new inventions as patents
Who you are:
- Backed by 3+ years of research or product development experience
- The proud owner of a BS or MS in mechanical engineering, optics, physics, or related field
- Able to share examples of your innovations through published works, conference presentations, or patents
- Proficient in mechanical and/or optical modeling packages such as Solidworks or Zemax, including design optimization and fatigue studies
- Equipped with hands-on experience building and testing early proof of concept optical, mechanical, and electronic prototypes
- Experience with rapid prototyping methods and tools, and able to translate designs to prototypes, including documenting bills of materials and estimated production costs
- A well-rounded communicator who’s able to clearly present and document complex subjects for peers and stakeholders
- Organized and attentive to detail
- Comfortable with ambiguity and juggling multiple priorities
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
- PhD or equivalent with industrial R&D experience (and you’re excited to keep learning!)
- Passionate about translating and sharing new technologies
- Experience in one or more modern programming languages such as Python, Go, or Swift
- Experience with computer vision, machine learning, iOS development, vision or clinical vision care research, e-commerce product development, and project management
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact—and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.