Warby Parker is on the lookout for a Senior Data Scientist who will help Warby Parker use data more efficiently to work more effectively. To make this possible, our Data Science team works closely with all departments across the company: Customer Experience, Supply Chain, Strategy, Product Strategy, Technology, Applied Research, Brand, Real Estate, Marketing, Digital Product, Retail, and more.
As a member of our team, you’ll see that our work can take many forms. At times, we're producing polished decks to be presented to the co-CEOs. Others, we're building simulation tools that output interactive maps or spreadsheets to be crunched by our Analysts. Sometimes we're even constructing predictive models built into a microservice to be used by systems throughout the company. We also help develop useful frameworks for thinking about risk and uncertainty, giving stakeholders more confidence when making multimillion-dollar decisions.
In this role, you'll use a wide variety of mathematical and technical tools, including mixed-integer programming, statistical modeling, and machine learning. We also help run research studies and experiments. These methods have allowed our team to validate new products, like the Prescription Check app.
Over the years, our team's efforts have been featured in Inc. and have helped earn Warby Parker a Webby award. (The latter was for Virtual Try-On, a feature in our an e-commerce iOS app.) At the end of the day, when we help our company succeed we're also supporting our incredible Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Good work leads to good outcomes.
Our team is geographically distributed with a quorum in our New York City headquarters, complete with a beautiful, quiet library space and bountiful snacks. Our company benefits include trans-inclusive healthcare, parental leave for birth and non-birth parents, and a slew of other perks (like free glasses, of course!). If all of this sounds right up your alley, read on!
What you’ll do:
- Ask thoughtful questions and listen carefully to get to know your stakeholders’ vocabulary, problems, goals, and constraints
- Partner with our Product Manager to scope out and prototype potential solutions to make sure your output will be useful for stakeholders and/or customers
- Select and apply appropriate mathematical tools, then write the code to implement your solution
- Regularly present your progress to stakeholders and iterate it based on their feedback
- Present final results to stakeholders, executives, and the broader company as needed
- Deploy final code to production (for applicable projects)
- Give helpful feedback on teammates’ designs, plans, and code
- Learn from and teach colleagues on the Data Science team, while also supporting Analysts on teams throughout the company
Who you are:
- Backed by 3+ years of experience in related stakeholder- or customer-focused data science work
- Able to exercise independent judgment on all aspects of project execution while also soliciting regular input from colleagues and stakeholders
- A kind, empathetic communicator (in writing and in person) with excellent listening skills
- Someone who works proactively and effectively with people of various skill sets
- Equipped with a good numerical sense and able to think probabilistically
- Able to write clean, organized queries in SQL and code, in either R or Python
- Comfortable working with the tools of modern software engineering, such as working at the command line, using version control, and writing tests
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Extra credit—definitely not required, but if you have these skills we can put them to good use!
- A good understanding of visualizing data—you know how to do it and how your work will likely be understood by non-experts
- A background in teaching, mentoring, tutoring, or lecturing
- Experience deploying and maintaining production code
- Experience designing, running, or analyzing research studies
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!