One of Warby Parker’s core values is “Learn. Grow. Repeat.” To grow, we need quality feedback—and to get quality feedback, we need quality data. To scale our reporting capacity to its fullest, we’re on the lookout for an Engineering Manager to join our growing Data Engineering team and lead seven Data Engineers and Data Modelers. Our team collects, transforms, documents, and enriches data across the business. We also select and socialize the right business intelligence tools to help our analysts and decision-makers apply data to their work.
As the Engineering Manager, you’ll look out for the people on your team by empowering them to create great software and data models, grow in their careers, and stay engaged in their work at Warby Parker. Partnering with other Engineering Managers across the Data Organization and broader Technology teams, you’ll help develop best-in-class practices and advance the culture of the team. Reporting to the Director of Data, you and your team will partner with your team’s dedicated Product Manager to enable the business to achieve critical, data-driven objectives.
The ability to nurture and influence great performance will set you up for success in this position, as will familiarity with modern software engineering practices. (Experience with data engineering specifically is a plus but not required!) We’ll count on you to encourage a collaborative and empathetic culture, ensure quality technical architecture, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
At the end of the day, we’re in the business of giving back. When our work helps the company be successful, we can contribute more to our incredible “Buy a Pair, Give a Pair” partners, making it easier for the next generation of socially-conscious businesses to receive funding and support. Interested in joining us? Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Lead and grow a team of Data Engineers and Data Modelers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, sponsoring, giving feedback, and offering hands-on career development
- Partner with Data Engineering’s Product Manager to achieve the team vision
- Ensure timely delivery of engineering and modeling work that addresses business needs and meets high standards of quality
- Help develop, advocate, and implement exceptional Agile, engineering, and organizational practices
- Demonstrate an unparalleled drive for results, customer empathy, and long-term vision for healthy data usage
- Ensure your team is informed, engaged, and excited about their work
Who you are:
- A thoughtful leader who’s passionate about connecting with others, developing careers, creating opportunities for growth, and fostering an inclusive environment
- Armed with strong interpersonal skills and a strong desire to help
- An eloquent, impactful communicator who’s able to be influential in groups big and small
- Backed by 7+ years of engineering work experience
- Equipped with 4+ years serving as a manager of at least four engineers
- Able to converse at a competent level about reporting practices and their connection to engineering work
- Comfortable working among multiple departments and communicating effectively to both technical and non-technical teammates
- A fast learner, who’s able to get up to speed on new topics quickly (our business and work is constantly evolving!)
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
What you’ll learn:
- The nitty-gritty of how Warby Parker is changing the optical, fashion, and retail industries
- How a stakeholder-driven business operates and how we continue to serve the needs of our customers, employees, community, and environment as we grow
- A lot (or a lot more) about bringing dimensional modeling, data warehousing, data engineering, and analytics to a fast-growth, omnichannel retailer
- Experience as an analyst (or other role where you regularly consumed structured data to enable decisions)
- Experience building data pipelines and/or developing reporting data models
- Experience working for a company that has a major consumer-facing element, like retail or e-commerce
- Formal knowledge of process improvement methodologies
- Experience with cross-functional teams or matrix organizations
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- A health-and-wellness stipend
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!