The Data Engineering team is responsible for the efficiency, quality, and availability of Vungle data for both internal and external consumption. This role will help drive the operational planning and success of Data Availability, Engineering and Operations while also championing new technologies and methodologies which lead to more efficient Data ingestion and utilization. The Engineering Manager, Data is responsible for working as a part of the Data Engineering team on data availability planning and capacity planning, and working collaboratively with stakeholders including executives, Product, and the larger Engineering organization to support data needs while assisting with data related technical issues.
This role can be fully or hybrid based out of Vungle’s San Francisco headquarters at beautiful Levi Plaza, our Los Angeles office in vibrant Sawtelle, or our new New York City office.
What will you be doing?
- Develop and execute data roadmap aligning with product and data science strategy
- Build partnership with cross functional teams with clear ways of working - software engineering, data science, product managers, business
- Recruit, Retain, Remove, Groom, and Grow team members
- Identify the data needed for a business problem and implement logging required to ensure availability of data, triage issues and resolve.
- Support existing processes running in production and implement optimized solutions with limited guidance
- Build data expertise and leverage data controls to ensure privacy, security, compliance, data quality, and operations for allocated areas of ownership
- Design, build, optimize, and maintain data extraction tool
- Responsible for ticket grooming, planning, code review and release planning
- Not afraid to get into coding from time to time to help the team
- BS/MS in computer science or a related field, or professional experience in data engineering and data management.
- Minimum of 8+ years of experience in Data Engineering or similar experience
- 2+ years managing people or leadership role
- 4+ years of experience in data warehouse
- 4+ years of experience in custom ETL design, implementation, and maintenance
- SQL statement skills
- Experience leveraging big data environments/frameworks to deploy analytical services
- Significant work experience in the following disciplines: data modeling, data integration, database design, data analysis, and data migration tools
- Extensive experience with relational and non-relational (NoSQL) DBMS
- Experience with cloud and other emerging technology solutions in enterprise data management.
- Experience implementing customer data integration / master data management processes.
- Experience working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Airflow)
- This position requires regular overseas travel to our China office located in Beijing.
Familiarities with the Technologies:
- Python, Scala, Java, or Go
- Apache Airflow
- Redshift, memSQL, MySQL
- HBase, MongoDb, DynamoDb, Redis
- Hadoop, Kafka, Spark, RabbitMQ
- Jenkins/TravisCI, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Github
Nice to Have:
- Knowledge of data challenge in RTB
- Working knowledge of AWS Lake Formation, Apache Iceberg, Databrick Delta Lake, or Hudi
- Efficient incremental join of time oriented data in a Petabyte environment
- Experience in real time analytic optimized, secure data lake on AWS S3 -- we want to build this!
Vungle is the trusted guide for growth and engagement, transforming how people discover and experience apps. Mobile application developers partner with Vungle to monetize their apps through innovative in-app ad experiences that are inspired by insight and crafted with creativity. Advertisers depend on Vungle to reach, acquire, and retain high-value users worldwide. Vungle’s data-optimized ads run on over 1 billion unique devices to drive engagement and increase returns for publishers and advertisers ranging from indie studios to powerhouse brands. The company is headquartered in San Francisco and has offices around the world in London, Berlin, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Singapore, Los Angeles, New York, and Helsinki.
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Vungle does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or Recruiting Team. All candidates must be submitted via our Applicant Tracking System by approved Vungle vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Recruiting Team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Vungle Recruiting Team and such candidate was submitted to the Vungle Recruiting Team via our Applicant Tracking System.