You love working on projects that have high business impact. You are passionate in working closely with designers and PMs, from ideation to market release to post-launch reflection, to continuously improve user experience for all our creators and members. You are self-motivated with an entrepreneurial mindset, ready to work in a highly collaborative environment as well as independently. There is no higher order than an exceptional product. Clean code and craftsmanship is implied.
We’re looking for a Senior Android Engineer to play an integral role on our D30 (Delightful first 30 days) team. Our team plays a critical role in the long-term success for VSCO, as we’re responsible for building a great experience for users’ first few exposures to our app, eventually driving revenue and subscription growth for the company. As we continue to evolve our membership subscription business, this team will be challenged to build scalable and reliable systems, drive the company to deliver high-quality UI with responsive and cohesive user experience, and solve business challenges with innovation and technology
- You have a solid understanding of building and shipping complex product experiences on frequently updated business critical Android apps
- Your expertise with the Android SDK helps you create scalable, dynamic, extensible and highly performant UI components
- You have a working knowledge of remote APIs, concurrency, layouts, transitions, animations, client side persistence and architectural patterns on mobile apps
- You are ambitious and highly motivated to deliver outstanding solutions with minimal guidance
- You are passionate about leading initiatives and collaborating with Product Management, Data Science, Design, Engineering, and Research teams
- You are a proactive and effective decision maker
- Implement product features and/or frameworks that are easy and reliable for other engineering teams to collaborate with
- Collaborate with Design and Product teams in concepting, prototyping, user testing, and implementing new features to drive member value
- Architect and build clean, testable, maintainable, and idiomatic code, and drive the team forward in relation to code quality
- Partner cross-functionally with fellow engineers to ensure consistency is maintained across platforms
- Provide mentorship to other Android engineers
- 4+ years of experience working on mobile applications on Android (Kotlin/Java)
- Experience working on mobile consumer applications
- Experience collaborating closely with designers and product managers
- Experience in writing unit tests and testable code
- Experience collaborating with other engineers: iOS, Android, Server, and Web
- Experience mentoring other engineers
- Experience leading development of complex, high-impact projects
Nice to have
- Experience with Google Play Billing Library and subscription services
- Passion to learn about the business, being metrics driven and balancing it with user experience
- Passion for beautiful, responsive, and functional design
- Familiarity with photo and video in the mobile space
- Familiarity with iOS to facilitate cross-platform design discussions
- Experience interacting (or even developing!) server-based APIs via REST and/or gRPC
VSCO is a mobile app that helps you create beautiful, professional-looking photos and videos right from your mobile phone. We offer extensive high-end photo, and video editing features, including 200+ presets, and access to a vibrant global community that inspires people to create and share their diverse experiences. VSCO’s mission is to help everybody fall in love with their creativity across all products and services.
Equity, health, vision, dental insurance for families, flexible vacation policy, Creative Fridays, and a quarterly “Hack Week” to foster engineering ingenuity!
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating what makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.