VSCO is growing our team of passionate people who are on a mission to unlock the creative potential in everyone. As a leading mobile creator app, VSCO provides the inspiration, education, tools and a massive community that is fueling a new generation of creative expression.
As our Director, Legal & Compliance, you will be the second in-house lawyer and support our legal and compliance function as well as counsel our business and product teams. You will leverage both your own expertise and outside counsel to execute on a wide range of commercial, product, compliance, and regulatory initiatives. You have a passion for providing creative, proactive, and pragmatic legal guidance, and will have an opportunity to make a big impact in a fast-paced organization. This role reports to the Vice President, Legal & Compliance, and is based out of our corporate headquarters in Oakland, CA (location flexible).
- Manage legal and compliance initiatives to mitigate risk, monitoring and analyzing legal issues of importance to VSCO, serving as a trusted business partner
- Manage our commercial contracts and drive our compliance efforts in privacy (including GDPR and CCPA) and intellectual property matters
- Partner with cross-functional teammates across the company to ensure our products and services comply with current and emerging legislation and that legal needs are embedded into our future roadmap
- Ensure VSCO’s policies and procedures are compliant with applicable U.S. and international laws, rules, and regulations, company practices and standards, and best practices in an evolving regulatory environment
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, partnership, marketing, and vendor agreements
- Stay up-to-date on developments in law and the business
- Collaborate closely with outside counsel and supervise more junior team members as needed
You’re a Great Fit
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and have 6+ years of relevant legal experience (both top tier law firm and in-house); management experience is a plus
- Expertise with most of the following substantive legal areas, and an appetite to learn the others: privacy, product, corporate governance, trust and safety, internet and media law, advertising and marketing, employment, and intellectual property
- Experience with fundraising, M&A, and/or IPO
- Highly motivated, self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment where you need to roll up your sleeves to take on tasks both big and small and work well with and collaborate with many other teams, going beyond the traditional boundaries of the role
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Outstanding judgment with the ability to understand the criticality and urgency of issues and prioritize them as appropriate within a fast-paced environment, providing clarity and direction to the team and others throughout the company
- Ability to find creative solutions to issues, taking a pragmatic approach when balancing legal risks against business interests
- Passion for creator tools and communities. Penchant for expressing yourself creatively!
VSCO is a mobile app that helps you create beautiful, professional-looking photos and videos right from your mobile phone. We offer extensive high-end photo and video editing features, including 200+ presets, and access to a vibrant global community that inspires people to create and to share their diverse experiences with one another. Across all products and services, VSCO’s mission is to help everybody fall in love with their own creativity.
Equity, health, vision and dental insurance for families, and a flexible vacation policy.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.