At VSCO, our mission is to help everybody fall in love with their own creativity. Foundational to that mission is our creative toolset. We are looking for an Android Engineer to participate in the building out of our next generation of creative tools. Our team is responsible for improving and expanding the ways that we empower our users to explore their creative potential through the composition and editing of images, video, and mixed media. We aim to meet users where they are on their creative journey, and so we must apply our own creativity to developing tools that balance depth of capability and configuration with simple elegance and ease of use. Getting this “right” requires a collaborative spirit, an empathy for our users, and a love for creative expression.
- You have experience building and shipping complex product experiences on frequently updated business critical Android apps.
- You have solid experience manipulating graphics and GPU-accelerated rendering.
- You understand and enjoy linear algebra.
- You enjoy the challenges of creating and manipulating graphic media on hardware constrained devices.
- You enjoy partnering with Design and Product teams to prototype, implement, and iterate on delightful product experiences.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members in the conception, planning, and implementation of new creative tool features.
- Architect and implement solutions for interactively manipulating images, video, and mixed media.
- Build clean, testable, maintainable, and idiomatic code, and drive the team forward in relation to code quality.
- Deliver solutions both in collaboration with other engineers or independently, depending on the scope and schedule of the project.
- 2+ years working on mobile consumer applications on Android (Kotlin and/or Java)
- Proficiency writing and integrating OpenGL shaders
- Experience with NDK (C++)
- Familiarity with RenderScript
- Collaboration with cross-functional team members including designers, product managers, and other engineers
Nice to have
- Architecture and implementation of complex, high-impact projects
- Mentorship and collaboration with less experienced engineers
- Experience with Vulkan
- Experience with cross-platform technologies
- Implementation experience of AR/VR features
- Experience with iOS (Swift, Objective-C, Metal)
- A deep appreciation for photography and the visual arts
VSCO is a mobile app that helps you create beautiful, professional-looking photos and videos right from your mobile phone. We offer extensive high-end photo, and video editing features, including 200+ presets, and access to a vibrant global community that inspires people to create and share their diverse experiences. VSCO’s mission is to help everybody fall in love with their creativity across all products and services.
Equity, health, vision, dental insurance for families, flexible vacation policy, and a quarterly “Hack Week” to foster engineering ingenuity!
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating what makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.