At VSCO, we build creative tools, spaces, and connections driven by self-expression. Our mission is to help everybody fall in love with their own creativity. You will build frameworks and features that define how we support our users in their creative process and building community. You love working on projects that deliver great experiences to our users. You are passionate in working closely with designers and PMs, from ideation to market release to post-launch reflection, to continuously improve user experience for all our creators and members. You are self-motivated with an entrepreneurial mindset, ready to work in a highly collaborative environment as well as independently. There is no higher order than an exceptional product. Clean code and craftsmanship is implied.
We’re looking for a Senior Server Engineer to play an integral role on the Recognition team, whose mission is to foster a creative habit that fulfills our users' desire to express themselves. This team plays a critical role in the long-term success of VSCO, as it is directly responsible for driving retention and building user experiences that will impact millions of people daily around the world. The team has a passionate group of developers focused on building features that inspire our users to create and share.
- Design and build highly-scaled backend services and systems
- Collaborate with other engineers on the team to solve difficult and exciting distributed system design and implementation problems
- Build clean, testable, maintainable, and idiomatic code, and drive the team forward in relation to code quality
- Identify and fix issues to improve scalability, performance, and simplicity of our systems
- You are passionate about leading initiatives and collaborating with Product Management, Data Science, Design, Engineering, and Research teams
- You are a proactive and effective decision maker
- Got an idea to make VSCO better? Ideate and implement your own experiments that millions of users will see, learn from experimentation to continue to build better user experiences without creating long-term technical debt
- 4+ years of experience developing backend systems
- Strong software engineering best practices (e.g. coding, unit testing, code reviews, design documentation)
- Experience leading development of complex, high-impact projects
- Experience mentoring and collaborating with junior engineers
- Experience working on full stack teams, collaborating closely with iOS, Android, and web engineers
Nice to have
- Experience developing with Go
- Passion to learn about the business, being metrics driven and balancing it with user experience
- Experience developing for the iOS and/or Android platform
- A deep appreciation for photography and the visual arts
VSCO is a photo company. We build creative tools and a community driven by self-expression. Our mission is to equip, educate, and inspire anyone on the journey towards realizing their creative potential.
Equity, health, vision, dental insurance for families, flexible vacation policy, Creative Fridays, and a quarterly “Hack Week” to foster engineering ingenuity!
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating what makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.