VSCO’s creators generate billions of data points every single day. Our platform must reliably, efficiently, and securely process this data, make sense of it, and leverage it to build features our creators love. You will create the systems that allow VSCO to bring value directly to our members.
You have thrived on complex data problems, and you’ve created value by building robust and powerful data platforms. You get energy through building data infrastructure that leverages massive datasets to provide insights and understanding.
We are looking for a Staff Engineer to join our Data Engineering team. As we continue to grow and innovate, we face unique scalability challenges. In this role, you will combine the power of analytics and data pipelines to influence how VSCO evolves – this includes envisioning a new way of doing old things, prioritizing reliability, and fostering a broader conversation about the Data Platform within VSCO and beyond.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to build reliable, scalable, and maintainable data-intensive applications and infrastructure.
- Own the planning, execution, and release of these complex technical projects.
- Maintain a robust and concise long-term technical vision for VSCO’s data infrastructure.
- Initiate, influence, and drive technical collaboration across VSCO.
- Perform reviews and develop standards to ensure our code is high quality, efficient, well-tested, and documented.
- Spread learning and knowledge sharing across the organization, level up our engineering practices, and mentor other engineers.
- You have an extensive history of delivering high-impact data-intensive applications and infrastructure which propel successful organizations.
- You have leveraged strong communication and collaboration skills with technical and non-technical teams.
- You are excited to use this know-how to lead VSCO’s technical vision.
- You are well-versed and opinionated about modern data infrastructure stacks.
- Our data processing is done by Apache Spark (on Kubernetes), Kafka, Airflow, Redshift, etc. Our primary Data Lake lives in Parquet on S3. You are deeply familiar with these systems and follow emerging technologies with the know-how to integrate them into this architecture.
- You hold a BS, MS, or Ph.D. in Computer Science or a related technical discipline or equivalent practical experience.
VSCO is a mobile app that helps you create beautiful, professional-looking photos and videos right from your mobile phone. We offer extensive high-end photo, and video editing features, including 200+ presets, and access to a vibrant global community that inspires people to create and share their diverse experiences. VSCO’s mission is to help everybody fall in love with their creativity across all products and services.
Equity, health, vision, dental insurance for families, flexible vacation policy, and a quarterly “Hack Week” to foster engineering ingenuity!
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating what makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.