Sr. Engineering Manager, Platform
Creating an environment where people do their best work is a key strength and motivator for you. You care deeply about building great software that powers the heart of VSCO’s global creative audience. You are a thoughtful leader that draws energy from mentoring and growing others. You prioritize people always and understand the work of the whole is better than that of one individual.
VSCO is seeking an engineering manager (EM) to lead the teams responsible for our server platform and internal tools. You will be responsible for providing leadership and technical guidance for the backbone of our systems, and for leading and guiding a team of world-class engineers to do their best work every day. The team you’ll lead is responsible for building and maintaining scalable, low-latency, and reliable backend services that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the overall VSCO community. EMs at VSCO partner with product management, design, marketing, and leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. In partnership with your team, you will manage 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes and communicating over gRPC, supporting tens of millions of users.
- Build and manage the team responsible for VSCO’s engine – from its core backend services to tools for internal teams to propel us faster, further, better. This team supports areas from VSCO’s core social experience, to our media and experimentation services, to the tools and tech that power our website and internal tools.
- Partner with staff engineers and others to make long-term strategic technical decisions that impact key metrics at the company level
- Provide design and architectural feedback, and use your technical insights to guide discussions
- Maintain high morale and strong momentum on your immediate team and the broader group, as well as rigorous career-growth support for those you manage and mentor
- Create and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for your team alongside leadership and People Ops (including sourcing, screening, and interviewing candidates)
- Coordinate longer-term roadmap with our cross-functional team of product, design, marketing, and leadership
- Fuel your curiosity with inquiry and problem solving to surface opportunities to improve those around you, at an individual, team, group, department, and company level
- 3+ years experience in an engineering leadership role, with hands-on technical management expertise
- 4+ years experience developing full-stack applications
- 2+ years experience working with highly-scalable, distributed systems and microservice architectures
Nice to Have
- Experience with Kubernetes or other containerized systems, Bazel, gRPC (or alternatives)
- Experience with Go
- Experience with TypeScript, React, and node.js
- Experience in roadmapping and delivering on core infrastructure work
- Working knowledge supporting and executing alongside cross-functional feature teams
- Familiarity with agile or Lean methodologies
- A deep appreciation for photography and/or other aspects of the arts
VSCO is a mobile app that helps you create beautiful, professional-looking photos and videos right from your mobile phone. We offer extensive high-end photo and video editing features, including 200+ presets, and access to a vibrant global community that inspires people to create and to share their diverse experiences with one another. Across all products and services, VSCO’s mission is to help everybody fall in love with their own creativity.
Equity, health, vision, and dental insurance for families, and flexible vacation policy.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture