You care about communicating clearly and want everything you write and say to be transparent and approachable. You take initiative, work independently, make decisions based on incomplete information, own the results, and figure out how to do better next time. You’re practical, resilient, and low ego. You think about the biggest possible picture, and embrace thinking through the broad social implications of our product, brand and monetization choices.
VSCO is looking for its first Director of Legal & Compliance to lead our legal and compliance functions as we continue to grow and scale. We’re looking for an experienced internet / tech lawyer to build and lead our legal team, develop and execute our legal strategy, counsel cross functional teams (including product, marketing, engineering, partnerships, finance, people ops, and trust & safety) and help lead the company as we scale.
- Lead our legal team to help position and protect our company, monitoring and analyzing all legal issues of importance to VSCO, serving as a company-wide thought leader and trusted business partner
- Partner with Finance and Biz Dev on strategic transactions, including joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions
- Lead general corporate matters in areas like governance, employment, equity, commercial contracts, real estate and compliance in areas such as privacy (including GDPR), and intellectual property
- Partner with cross-functional teammates across the company to ensure our products and services comply with current & emerging legislation and that legal needs are embedded into our future roadmap
- Review, draft and update as needed VSCO’s policies and procedures to ensure ongoing compliance with applicable US and international laws, rules and regulations, company practices and standards, and best practices in an evolving regulatory environment
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements, including SaaS, partnership, non-disclosure, marketing, and vendor agreements
- Guide the Trust & Safety team on escalations and policies related to content moderation, handle law enforcement requests, as well as help them scale with internal playbooks and processes
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state, have 8+ years of relevant legal experience (both top tier law firm and in-house); management experience a plus
- Expertise with most of the following substantive legal areas, and an appetite to learn the others: privacy, product, corporate governance, trust and safety, internet and media law, employment, and intellectual property
- Experience with fundraising, M&A, and/or IPO
- Experience scaling in a startup or smaller company, fast-paced environment where you need to roll up your sleeves to take on tasks both big and small, and work well with and collaborate with many other teams, going beyond the traditional boundaries of the role
Nice to have
- A deep appreciation for photography, video and/or other aspects of the arts would be greatly valued