We believe that learning a language should be fun, rewarding, and a gateway to the best experiences life has to offer. If you agree, we’d love to talk.
If you are a strong technical lead or team lead looking to use your talent in teaching the world English, take a look at Voxy. Voxy software engineers change the way millions of people around the world learn English by using sound science combined with innovative (and patented!) technology. We are implementing research-driven learning activities coupled with live streaming for topic-based live tutoring sessions using advanced algorithms to build a customized experience using authentic content sources from names you know (Bloomberg, AP, Financial Times and more.). Voxy’s goal is to become THE vendor of first choice in the $80 billion dollar English language education market and our development team will be instrumental in reaching this goal.
As a Technical Lead in the Voxy Engineering team, you will make direct contributions to our codebase while simultaneously leading between 3 to 6 Engineers of various skill levels with a coaching mindset. Ideal candidates have experience as a Team Lead and senior contributor and want to improve their management skills. In this role, you will shape, grow, and lead a high-performing engineering team, guide team decision making on complex architectural tradeoffs, and collaborate closely with leadership.
Our mission is to empower people to achieve their goals by breaking down the world’s language barriers.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build nicely-instrumented code that is testable and deployable without downtime
- Evolve our big data pipeline to use real time feedback for an optimal platform for learners
- Design a best in breed application that is enjoyable to work with, performant to our partners, and evolves with our learners
- Scale the Voxy application and make it ready for feeding our upcoming projects in NLP and machine learning
- Make direct code contributions to the code base and review the contributions of others to ensure code quality and adherence to specifications
- Establish and innovate on best practices from the industry and improve the implementation of those practices on the team over time
- Assume ownership of one or more specific capabilities of the product and their design, implementation, and maintenance
- Provide technical leadership and mentoring to other Engineers beyond those assigned as direct reports
- Provide mentoring to other Engineers as their primary source for performance assessment and improvement
- Collaborate with stakeholders and other contributors in Engineering, Product, and Design to produce technical specifications, documentation and implementation plans for new and existing functionality
- Assist in the timely and high-quality delivery of initiatives, product features and capabilities by leading the delivery process and providing reporting to stakeholders
- Monitor and measure the health and continued operation of production resources, the deployment of features, and operational requests to support them
- Coordinate the efforts of the team across multi-month and multi-quarter projects and initiatives to produce incremental progress
What We’re Looking For:
- 5+ years of experience working as a software engineer in a production environment
- Curiosity and knowledge about technologies and architectural patterns of software engineering across the entire stack
- Pragmatism in understanding when to build the solution that scales to 1 million users or works for 100 users
- Ability to design data models that reflect the Voxy business using advanced SQL/NoSQL/ORM’s
- Experience working collaboratively with cross functional teams and various stakeholders across an organization
- Experience coordinating other Engineers through the delivery of a complex software project, including maintenance
- A coaching and growth mindset open to getting and giving feedback and constantly improving yourself and others
What Would Be Nice To Have:
- Django or Django Rest Framework
- AWS and devops
- B.S. or higher in computer science, science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience
- Previous experience as a Technical or Team Lead or other relevant management experience or education
- Experience on a team that controlled their own infrastructure, deployments, release schedules and bug triage
Working here, you'll enjoy:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Great benefits: medical insurance, cell phone & wifi reimbursement, home office & wellness budget, team events
- Remote friendly work policies
- Professional development budget
- Language classes w/ Voxy
- Work with an awesome international team of super bright, creative, talented, and passionate individuals based in the U.S. and globally
- Time Zones: ET(Eastern Time), BRT(Brasilia Time)
Voxy Engineering Team’s Values:
- We trust our colleagues by respecting their decisions and opinions to collaborate effectively, do the right thing and maintain good working relationships.
- Open Communication:
- Communicate openly by sharing our thoughts (pros & cons), being outspoken, having important decisions written down for the entire team, and staying in touch with the rest of Voxy outside Engineering to ensure that the team is on the same page and build & increase trust both within the engineering team and within Voxy.
- Consider the impact of our choices to find an effective way to solve a problem.
- Engineers Help Design the Product
- Actively direct the product to design elegant features at the early stages of the design process as well as continue to improve the design when we work on them.
>>You can read more about the Voxy Engineering Team’s values in an article written by Iswarya Parupudi, Director of Engineering at Voxy. See link here.
We believe in a workplace that is meant for everyone. Voxy is an equal opportunity employer. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, or marital, veteran, or disability status.
Want to know more about us?
Voxy is a U.S. - based company that is changing the way the world learns English. Our proprietary personalization technology and exclusive partnerships with leading content publishers enable us to deliver a one-of-a-kind solution to over 2.5 million English learners across the globe. Our mobile and web applications make it possible for individuals to learn from the world around them, turning everyday experiences and content into fun, game-like activities. Our custom-built, live one-on-one tutoring platform brings the necessary human element front and center, and is a core piece of our methodology. Voxy’s disruption of the $80B market for English language education has been recognized by leading education investors and the company has been deemed a pioneer by The New York Times, CNN Money, Fast Company, Mashable, Univision, Veja (Brazil), Venturebeat, and others.