We believe that learning a language should be fun, rewarding, and a gateway to the best experiences life has to offer. If you agree, we’d love to talk.
*Please note that we are not actively hiring for this role at the moment, but please feel free to submit your application as we are always on the lookout for great potential future candidates. Thanks!
If you are a software engineer looking to use your talent in teaching the world English, take a look at Voxy. Voxy software engineers will change the way millions of people around the world learn English by using sound science combined with innovative (and patented!) technology. We are implementing research-driven learning activities coupled with live streaming for topic-based live tutoring sessions using advanced algorithms to build a customized experience using authentic content sources from names you know (Bloomberg, AP, Financial Times and more.). Voxy’s goal is to become THE vendor of first choice in the $80 billion dollar English language education market and our development team will be instrumental in reaching this goal.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Build nicely-instrumented code that is testable and deployable without downtime
- Evolve our big data pipeline to use real time feedback for an optimal platform for learners
- Design a best in breed application that is enjoyable to work with, performant to our partners, and evolves with our learners
- Scale the Voxy application and make it ready for feeding our upcoming projects in NLP and machine learning
What We’re Looking For:
- 3+ years of experience working as a software developer
- Curiosity and knowledge about technologies and architectural patterns of software engineering across the entire stack
- Pragmatism in understanding when to build the solution that scales to 1 million users or works for 100 users
- Ability to design data models that reflect the Voxy business using advanced SQL/NoSQL/ORM’s
What Would Be Nice To Have:
- Django or Django Rest Framework
- AWS and devops
- B.S. or higher in computer science, science or engineering discipline or equivalent experience
Working here, you'll enjoy:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- Great benefits: medical insurance, cell phone & wifi reimbursement, home office & wellness budget, team events
- Remote friendly work policies
- Professional development budget
- Language classes w/ Voxy
- Work with an awesome international team of super bright, creative, talented, and passionate individuals based in the U.S. and globally
Voxy Engineering Team’s Values:
- We trust our colleagues by respecting their decisions and opinions to collaborate effectively, do the right thing and maintain good working relationships.
- Open Communication:
- Communicate openly by sharing our thoughts (pros & cons), being outspoken, having important decisions written down for the entire team, and staying in touch with the rest of Voxy outside Engineering to ensure that the team is on the same page and build & increase trust both within the engineering team and within Voxy.
- Consider the impact of our choices to find an effective way to solve a problem.
- Engineers Help Design the Product
- Actively direct the product to design elegant features at the early stages of the design process as well as continue to improve the design when we work on them.
>>You can read more about the Voxy Engineering Team’s values in an article written by Iswarya Parupudi, Co-Director of Engineering at Voxy. See link here.
Want to know more about us?
Voxy is a U.S. - based company that is changing the way the world learns English. Our proprietary personalization technology and exclusive partnerships with leading content publishers enable us to deliver a one-of-a-kind solution to over 2.5 million English learners across the globe. Our mobile and web applications make it possible for individuals to learn from the world around them, turning everyday experiences and content into fun, game-like activities. Our custom-built, live one-on-one tutoring platform brings the necessary human element front and center, and is a core piece of our methodology. Voxy’s disruption of the $80B market for English language education has been recognized by leading education investors and the company has been deemed a pioneer by The New York Times, CNN Money, Fast Company, Mashable, Univision, Veja (Brazil), Venturebeat, and others.