Vox Media employees thrive on innovation and change while ambitiously seeking to master their subject areas, hone their craft, and improve their communities. We help smart, talented, creative professionals make a meaningful impact in media, technology and the world around them. The Vox Media house of brands includes industry-leading media forces like SB Nation, Eater, The Verge, Vox, Curbed, Recode, Racked and Polygon, and reaches an audience of hundreds of millions, generating over a billion content views each month.
Curbed is looking for a motivated engagement editor to help us grow and diversify our existing audience, while engaging our most loyal followers—continuing to establish Curbed as a multiplatform juggernaut for all intelligent home-related content.
Drawing from your experience in social media, writing, partnerships, and analytics, you’ll manage a small engagement team to program content across platforms, and you’ll report to Curbed’s executive editor to implement top-level brand strategy for audience development. The engagement editor works to shape content across Curbed’s 40+ social accounts and syndicated platforms, optimizing content for our many different audiences: think Instagram Stories on the flagship account, GIFs demonstrating our video prowess, Twitter threads on Curbed LA, partnerships targeted at growing our regular columns, and more.
Your team will drive multi-platform engagement including video views, traffic from external platforms, and brand awareness through strategic partnerships. But that alone won’t lead to the success we expect: We strive to turn all of our writers into social media experts so that everything we create is highly engaging, no matter where it’s published. That means Curbed writers should do everything from creating social-friendly content to optimizing their stories for readers who find us through search—all under your wise counsel.
- Manage a small team of social media managers with oversight of and enthusiasm for all off-platform distribution
- Refine, enforce, and riff on the Curbed voice on all of our on- and off-platform channels—social, hosted, and otherwise
- Help reporters and editors package stories for specific channels and audiences through consistent feedback; be able to advise on how to harness social media as a reporting tool
- Shore up and reinforce best practices for Curbed’s many social accounts, and train editors, including assistance with any infrastructure-building or skills refreshing as necessary
- Develop and oversee distribution plans for special editorial projects
- Track success through engagement rates, growth statistics, and other metrics, and compose reports for Curbed leadership
- Develop new audiences by helping Curbed initiate and maintain social and video partnerships
- Build and maintain a list of press and producer contacts for broader media coverage of our stories, and coordinate press outreach with Vox Media communications team
- Work with executive editor and centralized Vox Media teams to create best practices for editorial, like SEO explainers, social media strategies, and audience engagement best practices
- 3-5 years of experience in social media marketing, PR, journalism, or paid media
- Experience with analytics tools, and a love of spreadsheets
- Proven track record running social accounts for major media outlets or commercial brands; video a plus
- Deep knowledge of all mainstream and some emerging platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr,
- LinkedIn, Pinterest, Tumblr, Soundcloud, Apple News, Google Newsstand, Flipboard, Crowdtangle
- Experience with newsletter publishing a plus
- Incredible attention to detail and intolerance for errors
- A passion for the news
- Familiarity with, and possibly a love for, Curbed
The job is full-time with salary commensurate with experience, health benefits, and a 401(k).
Working at Vox Media
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.