Vox is a user’s guide to the news produced by the reporters and subject issue experts who know it best. Over the past 18 months, we’ve made audio journalism a central part of that mission. And now we’re looking for a host for our most ambitious foray into this space yet: a daily news explainer podcast.
As we envision it, the host of this show will be the audience’s guide and champion — asking the questions they would ask, having the conversations they want to have, channeling the curiosity they feel. You are their smart, enthusiastic, skeptical friend — not their boring professor. To that end, we are relying on the host to have a strong point of view on the world, to see unusual angles and interesting stories everywhere, and to be genuinely, joyously interested in pretty much everything.
The job will mean learning about a new discovery in quantum mechanics on a Tuesday, diving into the latest Trump administration scandal on a Wednesday, and checking in on Brexit on a Thursday — in each case finding the right voices to highlight, identifying the right questions to ask, and knowing how to wrap it all in a package the audience will enjoy. This is a high-pressure, high-metabolism role that requires a tremendous work ethic, an ability to grok new topics quickly, and a passion for making complicated topics clear.
In this role, you’ll work closely with the executive producer (you can find EP job listing here) to define the show’s tone and style over time. You needn’t have a broadcast background, but here’s what your past work does need to demonstrate: a deep curiosity about the world, facility with conversational writing, and a talent for distilling complex stories and revealing the context behind important news stories of the day.
Vox values thinkers, creatives, and obsessives from all backgrounds. We are looking to hire the right person — not the right résumé. We encourage those with diverse and nontraditional experience to apply.
Do not wait to apply. Because of Labor Day weekend, applications have been extended to Wednesday, September 13, 2017.
PLEASE NOTE: Include links in your cover letter from one of the following categories: A) your appearance on a live broadcast/podcast as a host or guest; B) radio/audio examples of your breaking news reporting or analysis; C) if you don’t have either of those, create an audio recording that demonstrates why you’d make a great host. Note: for A and B, please send excerpts or indicate the time codes where you want us to listen.
- Play a key role in daily editorial planning
- Identify and cultivate diverse, original sources and interview subjects
- Explain the news of the day clearly and respectfully — never underestimating the audience’s intelligence or overestimating their information
- Research and propose timely and distinctive story segments
- Write program copy and anchor the show
- Participate in ongoing evaluation and refinement of the show’s sound
What you’ll bring:
- At least three years’ experience as a broadcast journalist, news analyst, breaking news reporter, or equivalent
- An ear for what makes a compelling, well-told story
- Enthusiasm for understanding the world around you and passionately explaining it to a curious audience
- An engaging personality and fresh voice
- The ability to work efficiently under deadline pressure
- Familiarity with the current landscape of news podcasting
- Passion for explanatory journalism
- Desire to chart a new course and create an innovative show
- Willingness to relocate to Washington, DC
About working at Vox Media: This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.